End of Life Receivers

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
The MGEG 4 transition continues.

There are some ancient receivers out there that Dish will totally deactivate by Feb 1, swapping them out for the 211K.

Models are 111, 1000, 1500, 3000, 3500, 4000 & 4500.

Hmmm. Maybe they can sell them to Comcast (sister has Comcast and her box is definitely from that era).

The MGEG 4 transition continues.

There are some ancient receivers out there that Dish will totally deactivate by Feb 1, swapping them out for the 211K.

Models are 111, 1000, 1500, 3000, 3500, 4000 & 4500.

Hmmm. Maybe they can sell them to Comcast (sister has Comcast and her box is definitely from that era).
What is or was a 1500 I recognize the rest of the model #s. 3500 & 4500 were Houston Tracker versions of the 3000 & 4000 was the 1500 the same as a 1000 with a different brand name?

And what of the other legacy receiver such as my 4900? I guess I should just toss it in the trash can. :( Great receiver in it's day. Much higher quality modulated output than I have seen on subsequent Dish receivers.

Sounds like this is for 8PSK, with the MPEG-4 switch still a ways off.

Agree given the list. Except for the 111 which is an SD receiver that can handle 8PSK. I have one of those, too.

After this occurs, will there be any receivers out there that will only be able to handle QPSK and not 8PSK? Or will everything on WA be able to be converted to 8PSK at that point?

And what of the other legacy receiver such as my 4900? I guess I should just toss it in the trash can. :( Great receiver in it's day. Much higher quality modulated output than I have seen on subsequent Dish receivers. Agree given the list. Except for the 111 which is an SD receiver that can handle 8PSK. I have one of those, too.

I was wondering about that. Just to reduce the supported code base?

After this occurs, will there be any receivers out there that will only be able to handle QPSK and not 8PSK? Or will everything on WA be able to be converted to 8PSK at that point?

No doubt that is coming "soon" but this move won't quite finish preps for doing that.

Sounds like this is for 8PSK, with the MPEG-4 switch still a ways off.

Yes 8PSK is the reality for WA and the stated goal; Dish, contrary to some posts, have never seriously discussed MPEG4 for WA SD as hapenning anytime remotely soon. 8PSK for WA SD seems to finally have a light at the end of the tunnel.

One hundred thousand or less of obsolete receivers still active in dish,they wanted to remove all these receivers,requirements to upgrade credit card qualification,leased equipment ,no 24-commitment,no tech visit fee and antena upgrade :)

That's a start.Still that leaves many other legacy models in the field.27/28/3700 38/3900 47/4900 and 301's.I dunno why they don't go ahead and do a full swap out and get it over with.

It is fine to upgrade people however they need to pay the tech as if its a new install rather than a cheap upgrade payout. Reason I say this is many times you run into the legacy receivers with SW21 switches short cables at the dish so not only do you have to rewire (sometimes cables are used from old C-band 1450mhz or just RG59) but you change the dish out (if you are lucky for a LOS on 129 to get HD's or end up adding a wing dish for 72 which adds more work) AND then you have to swap out the receiver which for many many people I've done these for lately do NOT have internet so now you don't get connectivity on the job.

I get sick and tired of getting paid for a cheap upgrade when you have to basically do everything over from scratch for 9 out of 10 of these customers.

It really sounds like you need to find a new livelihood expander. Nearly all of your posts are so negative that you seem outraged at everything. If you don't try something new you won't need to for long because you will stress yourself to death....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)