Endeavoring to endeavor

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bootstrapbill

Original poster
May 13, 2009
N MS
Decided to start from scratch. Setting the new, and PLUMB pole today. Looks like in the winter time, my arc is going to run from around 82 Nim4(?) all the way to 148w.

Got one block at around 100-110deg., extremely large oak tree, but other than that..looks good. Dish will be about 5 1/2 feet above the ground. OK? Not OK?

Motor mount is fabricated and test fit. Let the concrete set till tomorrow afternoon, and see what we got.

Sounds good to me, I like having them at face level, no need for ladders or climbing roofs.
Sometimes you can plant a 2nd dish in a position to see around your obstacle.

might as well clear up a couple other issues, and take a few minutes to mull this over.
Using satfinder, tells me with a motor, my az is 89.61. Is that my actual true south compass heading? Nahhhh. Not making myself believe this.:confused: Thought south was 180. Not looking at something right.
My long is 88.38, probably not too far from turbosat. Lat 34w.
I think I thought I knew how I was thinking on setting up the motor, and now I'm thinking my thoughts were wrong.
I've read every thread and post I can find, and happily, now am totally confused. I'll let the cement set, and then carry on.
Set up depends on how many more flooding rains we get.

Yes we're about the same distance from the old equator, you're just a little further west. Just put your dish/motor on the pole, and point it as close to south as you can. Program in a channel on 89W, that ABC NewsNow channel works good for this, then try to hit 89W with USALS. You should get pretty close if you set your motor's elevation angle (set it to your latitude). Then start looking for some signal, its just a matter of slight tweaking after that.

When using a Compass, you will point the Motor to 181.5.
If the Earth was "perfect" it would be 180, but since it's not, you must compensate for the imperfections.

What Motor are you using?

For about 3 1/2 hours now, since I put all this together, I have searched, adjusted, readjusted, bumped and begged. All I got was a brief flash on the Q and never found it again.
After reading the manual with the motor for the 10th time...am I close to right.??? Motor angle setting sets to my lat...34.2 Dish angle bracket at 24.5. This sure does make the dish look like it looking awfully low on the western arc. I've pointed the dish as close as I can figure to due S 181*. I've tried to use 91 Nim2(?) as a reference, but must not be linear. Tried 123 G10(?) also, with no luck.
Tried entering the correct tp on my cs7000, and I may not be doing that right.
Been trying to use usals, but I'm thinking if everything else is a bit off, then so is the usals. Going to take a break from this, and try again later, or tomorrow.

The best way , prob, is to focus on that true south satellite for you, which would be 89 or 87, and try to locate it. You might have to alter your elevation and/or your dish angle by a few degrees, to hit the satellite. Those angle-indicators can be pretty close, or some can be off by sev degrees. Start with motor on zero position, USALS to move motor to your south satellite, then start looking for signal. You might have to pan the dish/motor assembly east or west a little bit from where it stops, if you get nothing, adjust your dish elevation up or down one degree, pan back and forth again. It takes patience, and with a little exploring you will hit that first satellite. After that, it does get easier!

edit to add : Yes 91 is a circular satellite, but there is a linear satellite at 91, Galaxy17, it has a few ku channels. And yes, the dish will be looking as if its pointed straight ahead the further west it goes (in our part of the country, at least). Offset-dishes look at the satellite arc, but at about 22degrees lower "look angle" than a big c-band dish.

On the Motor Mount, double check that you are using the "Latitude" scale vs. the "Elevation" scale.

In the receiver, select the Sat at 89 west to set up.
Get the Motor back to Zero, look for "Go to Reference" or "Go to Zero"
Then in the TP list, look for: 11955

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts