epg on 811

cheezehead

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
I have read many threads but dont have a good answer yet. I like my 811 but have one problem. My wife hates seeing "local Prog" instead of the actual show on local hd channels. Locals in my area are viewable on dishnetwork using a superdish to receive them (non HD). Can i get a Superdish and view the epg for the local hd channels if I do not subscribe to the local package? I have read that all one has to do is have the local channels viewable, not neccessarily subscribe to them, to get the epg for the local HD channels. Viewable meaning having a superdish to view the local sat.

Thanks,

Cheeze.

I assume you're using an OTA antenna to get your HD locals. I don't think you have to subscribe to the locals or even "see" them to get EPF for your HD locals OTA. I hope I understand your problem correctly. I live in an area where San Antonio locals are my subscribed locals. I use an OTA antenna to get both San Antonio and Austin HD locals. My Austin HD locals show program guide information as well as San Antonio. Every now and again I have to reset my receiver because the EPG goes to "local programming" for my OTA HD stations. Have you tried that?

stuart628 said:
you do have to subscribe to your locals to get the EPG, sorry that is the way dish works! I have OTA and subscribe to my locals so I get the EPG.
No, the 811 gets OTA EPG without subscribing to Dish locals.

So I can get a superdish and not subscribe to locals and get epg. That would be great if i can get a superdish installed when i move for free!! :D

Also can a 942 record locals ota in hd and then send the hd locals out tv2. I know tv2 in not hd but can you record NBC and then send that out to tv2. I have HD proj tv in the family room and a sd TV in bedroom. If I can swing a 942 when i move and a superdish I would like to get the epg, record locals and view HD on the projection and also be able to view locals recorded on the bedroom tv as well if it is possible on one 942 and a superdish without subbing to locals for the epg.

The locals will appear in the program guide w/o subscribing to E* LiL. However, they will show a lot of "Local Program" listings. To get the 48 hour detailed listings in the EPG for your local DTV broadcasts, you have to subscribe to E* LiLs.

It works this way.. The 811 only needs to have the dish that your LIL are on. You do NOT need to subscribe to get guide data for you OTA DTV.

On the 921 & 942 (and most likely any newer models) you must subscribe to your locals to get guide data for your OTA channels.

Yes you can watch recorded OTA on TV2 you just cannot watch it live on TV2.

This issue has always confused me...let me just tell you what I am seeing on my receivers:

* I am in the Washington DC DMA, subscribe to local channels, and receive programming from three satellite locations (110/119 and 61.5). My split locals are on 110 and 61.5.

* I have two OTA antennas: North antenna picks up DC and Baltimore MD, South antenna picks up Richmond and Charlottesville VA.

On the 811 receiver: I have an A/B switch for OTA but I typically keep it on the Richmond/Charlottesville antenna. The PG displays program data for the Washington DC channels, but I receive a generic (local digital or whatever) display for those channels picked up via OTA scan (Baltimore, Richmond, Charlottesville). I have never picked up PG data for any locals outside of my home DMA of DC...even when I had a 2nd 811. According to quite a few people, I should be able to populate the PG with data in the PSIP datastream provided by local broadcasters with the 811, but (other than channel identity information) I am not.

On the 942 receivers: Although at once time I plugged in Richmond/Charlottesville OTA antenna and scanned for locals, I keep this OTA antenna plugged into the back of my HDTV and use its internal ATSC tuner. I keep the DC/Baltimore antenna plugged into the 8-VSB port on both 942s. We'll believe it or not, except for for subchannels and couple of PBS/Independent channels, I pick up PG data for almost all channels in DC, Baltimore, Richmond and Charlottesville. Obviously, I am receiving PG data from these distant locals from the E* sats because I don't even keep the OTA antenna plugged in.

It appears that I am receiving PG data from the satellites for DC, Baltimore, Richmond and Charlottesville...basically, for any channel the 942 picks up via OTA scan. I'm not sure which sat the 942 receives its 9-day PG. Note: Richmond locals are on 105 and mirrored on 129.

It appears that I am only receiving PG data from the satellites for DC (home DMA). For channels picked up via OTA scan, the PSIP channel identity is displayed...but that's all.

So for the 811 i would just need a superdish to receive local epg since wichita is on a wing, but for the 942 I would have to subscribe to get the local epg. This sounds correct? Why the diff between the 811 and 942?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts