Equipment Obsolete meesage

Sqrrl24

Original poster
Dec 10, 2022
Got a message on Tv saying I need to update my equipment because they are obsoleting my old equipment. I have 2 722 and a 311. I use 311 for Rv and one 722 in home and 1 722 in my shop. What equipment do I need to upgrade to be able to keep things how they are? I'm not sure how hoppers and joeys work.

• Wow
Reactions: dishdude
Got a message on Tv saying I need to update my equipment because they are obsoleting my old equipment. I have 2 722 and a 311. I use 311 for Rv and one 722 in home and 1 722 in my shop. What equipment do I need to upgrade to be able to keep things how they are? I'm not sure how hoppers and joeys work.
If your 311 is currently active, then that is the cause of the message as they are being phased out in favor of vip211’s or Wally’s. 722’s are considered old but not completely obsolete, if you would still like them upgraded then it would depend on your needs.

Is each 722 running 2 separate TV sets? Is it posible to have a coax run from the home to the shop or are they on separate satellite dishes?

Ideally, you would upgrade to the latest Hopper3, and add a Joey per every remaining location. The way these work is that the Hopper is the brain of the system, it does the satellite reception and DVR duties, among other things, then it transmits the video to the client devices, aka Joeys. The Joeys cannot run on their own, so if there is no way to connect your shop to the same network as your home then you will be looking at a second Hopper or a standalone receiver like the Wally.

Last edited:
If your 311 is currently active, then that is the cause of the message as they are being phased out in favor of vip211’s or Wally’s. 722’s are considered old but not completely obsolete, if you would still like them upgraded then it would depend on your needs.

Is each 722 running 2 separate TV sets? Is it posible to have a coax run from the home to the shop or are they on separate satellite dishes?

Ideally, you would upgrade to the latest Hopper3, and add a Joey per every remaining location. The way these work is that the Hopper is the brain of the system, it does the satellite reception and DVR duties, among other things, then it transmits the video to the client devices, aka Joeys. The Joeys cannot run on their own, so if there is no way to connect your shop to the same network as your home then you will be looking at a second Hopper or a standalone receiver like the Wally.
shop 722 is on separate dish. not real close to my house

Just for a note, a friend of mine tried to buy a 211 for a campsite set up and was told by Dish that all that is available anymore are Wallys for purchase
eBay lists a number of 211K's and Z's. Solid Signal lists 211Z's.

Your 311 is an MPEG2 receiver (the compression algorithm) and Dish is trying to switch all its downlinks to MPEG4 (uses about 1/2 the bandwidth maybe less then MPEG2) allowing for more channels maybe fewer satellites. Any way the first MPEG4 receivers were the ViP series, all of them are still viable, so your 311 is the problem child. If not replaced, someday in the future it will simply not work - no signal.

got new equipment and purchased a Wally and hooked it up to where my 311 was and now can't get a signal. Do i need to change to a different LNB on my dish for the Wally or should it work with how the 311 was set up? ?

Reactions: charlesrshell
got new equipment and purchased a Wally and hooked it up to where my 311 was and now can't get a signal. Do i need to change to a different LNB on my dish for the Wally or should it work with how the 311 was set up? ?
What kind of LNB setup do you have? Is it Legacy (the real old stuff) or Dish Pro? I don't think it would work on old Legacy stuff but I could be wrong
When I switched out a 311 to a Wally for my relative I had a DishProPlus Twin LNB set up. The Wally accepted that and I added a DishPro Single for HD