Equipment suggestions please

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
I'm looking at swapping a 625 out for a 612 but I've read that they've been problematic in the past. Is that still true?

Also looking to add an HD DVR or receiver for my bedroom. I'm thinking either another 612, or a 211. How's the 211?

I'm looking at swapping a 625 out for a 612 but I've read that they've been problematic in the past. Is that still true?

Also looking to add an HD DVR or receiver for my bedroom. I'm thinking either another 612, or a 211. How's the 211?

Lloyd if you don't mind you could run a HDMI cable to the bedroom HDTV and Component and audio cables to the livingroom HDTV as the outputs are always on.
Plus you would save money that way, unless you need separate functions on the bedroom HDTV.;)

Thanks for the suggestion.

That would work fine, although th bedroom tv would get the component cable as it doesn't have hdmi, only dvi and component.

Thanks for the suggestion.

That would work fine, although th bedroom tv would get the component cable as it doesn't have hdmi, only dvi and component.

Go to monoprice.com and look for a HDMI splitter. They have one for about $35 that works fine.

lloyd, your best value option is to get two 211's and pay the 39.99 dvr activation fee. the dvr fee is 6.00 a month. plus a second 612 for the bedroom is 10 bucks a month instead of 7.00. in one year you will pay 108.00 in extra fees. (6x12 for dvr plus 3x12 for 612/211 diff). after paying the 39.99 you have then saved 68 bucks in the first year alone. take that 68.00 bucks and buy a 500gb hdd. you can swap the hdd from one rec to another as needed, or even buy a second hdd and have one at both tv's.

the 211 seems to be a stable rec. you can hook up an OTA to your 211 and also record an OTA and SAT feed at the same time as well as watch one or the other. this is just an idea for ya to consider. based on your recording needs it may work, or not. just dont rush it and think it out.

Yes, monoprice.com has cables that have five conductors - 3 component and 2 audio - for that purpose, in various lengths.

That's probably the easier way, because the HDMI method implies that the audio is going via HDMI, so you would need some way of pulling it out, or else running parallel audio cable.

The 211s only have 1 tuner so you would have to watch what you record unless you have OTA.
I believe the best bet is you can do it all with one 722K.;)

You could run Component cables with Audio Cables for HD,but I would also run the RG6 hooked up to TV2 even if it is only HD.:)

As long as you know the VIPs only have a 1 hour pause and the live buffers are only 1 hour.Where the 625 has a 2 hour pause and 2-2hour live buffers.:eek::)

Thanks for all the recommendations. I had considered the 211, but my son who would be using it, records a lot of stuff, much of it wouldn't happen with just one tuner. Hence the thought of the 612. He doesn't need PIP or OTA, so it seemed ideal.

But as I asked, what are the issues with the 612 over the 622/722/722k? Or are the problems solved on the 612?

I'm not in a big rush as he isn't complaining much about the lack of HD, and then he will be paying for anything that gets connected to his TV.

As to the bedroom, most likely will go with component cable set, but I am concerned about 20' run of it.

But as I asked, what are the issues with the 612 over the 622/722/722k? Or are the problems solved on the 612?

I'm not in a big rush as he isn't complaining much about the lack of HD, and then he will be paying for anything that gets connected to his TV.

As to the bedroom, most likely will go with component cable set, but I am concerned about 20' run of it.

If you did a search on "612" in titles only, you can read the opinions. Some think that it is fine, some think that it is more problems than 622.

You can do a web search on long component cable runs, I seem to remember people using runs significantly longer than 20 feet, but best to read for yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)