Equipment Upgrade

hemway

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Arizona
I'm thinking of upgrading some of my equipment to a 942. I currently have a 2800, 501, and an 811. Thinking of doing away with the 2800 & 501 and going with the 942, does Dish do equipment swaps?

If your a good standing customer they may upgrade your 811 plus $250, in the dishing it up program. Like shaggy said call and ask. If the first CSR seems to not know for sure, hang up and call back and get another one.

I thought so too Stargazer. I could be wrong since I haven't checked (don't currently have a HDTV) but I haven't heard of anybody getting it for $250.

I'm not planning on trading in the 811. I have an HDTV in the family room and plan on putting one in the master bedroom. When I do that I'll move the 811 into the bedroom and the 942 into the family room. Maybe I'll call them to see what they say. I'll pay something for the 942, but I won't pay $250 for one and not own it. Direct has an offer for their HD-PVR for $499, maybe it's time to switch.

Best you could do is buy a 942. Then sell your other equipment to off set some of the cost. I have heard people getting them for close to the price of the D* receiver. The 942 does so much more than that D* unit does.

Actually SEVERAL current subs have been able to get the 942 on lease for $250. Go to the DVR forum and read the thread on leasing a 942. The lease program isn't a bad deal. You'd have to lease one for 90 months to pay the same as buying one. And as E* will be going to MPEG4 well before then, you won't get stuck with an albatross MPEG2 receiver.

I'm not aware of Dish buying back equipment and giving credit on a lease program.

You could sell off your current gear on eBay and then buy a 942 for $700.

hemway said:
I'm thinking of upgrading some of my equipment to a 942. I currently have a 2800, 501, and an 811. Thinking of doing away with the 2800 & 501 and going with the 942, does Dish do equipment swaps?

Wait for the MPEG4 HD DVR if you can. If you do get to do an existing sub 942 upgrade, they'd surely require you to sign up for a year or 18 months and by then an MPEG4 HD DVR would be out and may be required for the extra HD channels. However, the good news is that you may not need it for the current HD channels to launch (Voom-11 and ESPN2 HD). If you need 2 HD DVR's by then anyway, get it now! We probably won't see details of the MPEG4 HD DVR until CES next year. And if it launches, it'll probably be out by summer or fall, right after Team Summit conference.

I have been thinking about getting the 942 but haven't decided because of the MPEG4 hoop la but if its going to be that long before they release the MPEG4 HD DVR I guess that I will have to pull the trigger on the 942.

Dish doesnt buy back any equipment, only takes them in on upgrades such as what the poster is looking at doing. For the poster though I would trade in the 811 and 2800 and keep the 501, this way you have pvr/dvr functions at three locations instead of 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts