Equity channels sold.....will leave satellite...now gone

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If Equity is going through a chapter 11, is there some part of the business that will survive or reorganize? In the list that Frenchophile posted about the sales, there are banks and other financial institutions listed as buyers. I read somewhere where the business has 120(?) days to organize a plan. With these financial companies buying some of the stations, is it possible that these pieces could go back together if Equity emerges out of this? Is all hope done and Equity is beyond a reorganization? Any more info??? :confused:

from same website, here is what is left:

Radio Business Report/Television Business Report - Voice of the Broadcasting Industry

Dan: Honestly, I think it's a wait and see. but I am pessimistic about any of the Equity stations, those already sold and those still available for purchase, being viewable FTA in the future.

True story, my summer project was to purchase an FTA set-up specifically for the stations on G18. So I guess I saved some time and money

If all of the Equity stations are pulled from G-18, my plans are to re-aim my fixed G-18 dish to AMC-21. That would entail simply loosening the bolts and tapping the dish a bit to the west and a bit lower ;)... The 1 meter Channel Master I recently acquired, which was to be used on AMC-21, would then be used for something else (AMC-9 or perhaps Galaxy 19)...

It looks like we could soon be saying Goodbye to the Equity stations we all enjoy.

Most of them were sold this week.

Here is a list of all the buyers, I can't imagine them keeping them up FTA.

Radio Business Report/Television Business Report - Voice of the Broadcasting Industry

Scott,

Hopefully they won't terminate or alter the programming we are used to. Maybe they will improve it and go towards more programming that we have always enjoyed. I guess we will find out in the near future.

Trying to be an optimist! :)

Thanks Scott,

Gordy (AcWxRADAR)

A wide swath of buyers, the banks will be looking to unload their holdings.

Way better news that having one of the pizza providers buying them. there may be some interesting programming changes in store.

Something that I've never really grasped is the reason why they were up on the satellite to begin with.. Was there some sort of technical reason for having them broadcast via satellite? For distribution to cable systems?

I've just always watched them and have enjoyed the free TV they brought to me. If they all disappear from 123 West, it will surely change the face of FTA as we know it. Those were some darn popular channels.

Sadoun better stock up on 6ft C-Band dishes. There will be quite a few people wanting to tune into the networks on C-band at 99 West..

Something that I've never really grasped is the reason why they were up on the satellite to begin with.. Was there some sort of technical reason for having them broadcast via satellite?

The stations did not have master control facilities in the city of license. They were all transmitted from Little Rock. This was done to save money. They could have opted for encryption, but that cost money too.

At times those feeds on Galaxy 18 seemed to be lacking bandwidth.. It just surprises me that they'd turn around and re-broadcast the overly compressed image that I would see on satellite. It just didn't seem to be "studio" quality to me.

In comparison, the NET Nebraska PBS channels in digicipher mode on C-band are excellent in quality and appear worthy of being rebroadcast.

The stations did not have master control facilities in the city of license. They were all transmitted from Little Rock. This was done to save money. They could have opted for encryption, but that cost money too.
The fact that none of those channels originated from the cities where they are broadcast tells me that their content will still come from satellite. Ie why would someone buy a TV station and then just lets it go dark. Seems more likely that they'll still get the programming from some satellite source. I suspect that this is just re-structuring. Things will change, but the stations have to get their programming somewhere, so I don't think things will just go away.

Are these TV stations digital yet, or will the new owner have to immediately make some more expenditures?

The fact that none of those channels originated from the cities where they are broadcast tells me that their content will still come from satellite. Ie why would someone buy a TV station and then just lets it go dark. Seems more likely that they'll still get the programming from some satellite source. I suspect that this is just re-structuring. Things will change, but the stations have to get their programming somewhere, so I don't think things will just go away.

As mentioned on another thread, the Daystar purchases would likely switch to an existing Daystar feed and disappear from 123°W. Something similar was mentioned for other stations.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/171945-daystar-max-pickups-equity.html

Are these TV stations digital yet, or will the new owner have to immediately make some more expenditures?

Many of these stations, perhaps most or maybe even all of them are either low power or class A stations, which although they may eventually be forced to go digital, are not immediately affected by the digital mandate.
Only the high power stations are affected by the mandate.

:( Very interesting Scott! Guess we will have to wait and see what happens after the dust settles here. I guess some of them will not stay in the clear. Some of the buyers makes you wonder what interest they have in it or what they will use them for! Some of them were acquired rather cheaply! Waiting game now, thanks again Mr. Greczkowski for the information! :river

K E V I N
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

sorry but they'll leave satellite. I posted it in a couple other threads

not necessarily. The Daystar ones will just become affiliates and there is Daystar on about 3 or 4 satellites.

Assuming Max Media can buy up the Fox stations they already have an infrastructure built in Montana with the ABC stations so they'll just piggyback off that.

and another
Also Equity owns about 1/2 million dollars in back satellite fees so you know the satellite (G18) isnt going to let them "ride county" for much longer

Some stations do have a studio....may not be much of one though :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)