Equity channels sold.....will leave satellite...now gone

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Doing some homework with the link that was posted before. Here is what I came up with for the new buyers...the ones in BOLD I can see maybe staying on G18

Buyer: Daystar Television Network
WNGS-TV Buffalo, NY; WNYI-TV Syracuse, NY; KQUP-TV Spokane, WA; KWBM-TV Springfield, MO; KCBU-TV & KUTF-TV Salt Lake City, UT; WBIF-TV Panama City, FL; WUDT-CA Detroit, MI; WNTU-LP Nashville, TN; WUJF-LP Jacksonville, FL; WBLU-LP Lexington, KY; WSLF-LP West Palm Beach, FL; WUHQ-LP Grand Rapids, MI; KQUP-LP Spokane, WA; KUBX-LP & K45GX-LP Salt Lake City, UT
These will become Daystar affiliates and will leave G18....Daystar already has a couple sats with it on there

Buyer: Mako Communications LLC
A & KEGS-LP Las Vegas NV; KUSE-LP Seattle WA; WYGA-CA Atlanta GA
Mako owns a few stations and is affiliated with Azteca America and Almavision. Both are already on satellite at other spots

Buyer: Valley Bank
KQCK-DT Cheyenne; KQDK-CA Aurora CO; KWWF-TV Waterloo IA
a bank...interesting

Buyer: Max Media LLC
KMMF-TV, KMMF-LP & KEXI-LP Missoula, MT; KLMN-TV Great Falls, MT; KBTZ-TV & KBTZ-LP Butte-Bozeman, MT
if approved they'll probably leave...reasons have been posted before

Buyer: Silver Point Capital L.P.
WUVF-CA, WEVU-CA, WTLE-LP Ft. Myers, FL & WLZE-LP Ft. Myers, FL; WUMN-CA & WTMS-CA Minneapolis, MN
All are Univision & Telefutura stations. This is what Silver pint is
Silver Point Capital L.P is a privately owned hedge fund sponsor. The firm manages hedge funds for its clients. It invests in the public equity, fixed income, and hedging markets of the United States. The firm primarily invests in securities of distressed, large-cap, and Mid-cap companies; bank debts; bonds; and trade claims. It specializes in credit analysis and diversified credit-related investments. Silver Point Capital is based in Greenwich, Connecticut.

Buyer: Tyler Media
KUOK-TV, KOKT-LP, KCHM-LP & KWDW-LP Oklahoma City, OK; KUTU-LP Tulsa, OK

Owns a few radio stations and a TV station in Oklahoma (KTUZ-TV)....affiliated with Telemundo

Buyer: NGEN Solutions
KRRI-LP KELM-LP Reno, NV $45,000
company based in Reno and they say "Our two fundamental strengths are a thorough knowledge of data communications and telephony technology, combined with a complete understanding of network/service provider operations."

Buyer: MMMC
WMQF TV Marquette, MI
no idea..

Buyer: Convergence Media
W54CV-LP, W17CI-LP, WGMU-CA, W19BR-LP, W61CE-LP, W49BI-LP & WBVT-CA Burlington, VT
no info...all are the same station

Buyer: Rainey Radio
WJMF-LP WJXK-LP Jackson, MS
They run a radio station in MS

Buyer: Better Life TV
KTVC-TV & KAMK-LP Eugene, OR
They own KBLN which is a 3 Angels Network. These stations will replace a translator in Roseburg, OR...3ABN is already on another satellite

Buyer: Bank of Little Rock
KKYK-DT, KKYK-CA, KTVV-LP, KHTE-LP, KHUG-LP & KWBK-LP Little Rock AR
another bank. These I could see staying on G18

If they stay opn G18 they probably could get all of them on one TP so its possible we may have some still....but I could be totally off base here :)

Thanks for the info, Ice. There may be a few left on G18 after all. I have no use for all those Spanish ones though. I still wonder what may become of Retro Jams.:confused:

The FCC still has to approve everything. Everything should be approved with no issues except the MaxMedia one (Fox in Montana)...reason being this

The Federal Communications Commission currently allows common ownership of two stations in a single market with two conditions:

* There must be at least eight unique station owners left in the market once a duopoly is formed. In effect, duopolies are not allowed in any market with fewer than nine full-power stations (counting non-commercial stations).
* Two of the four highest-rated stations in a market cannot be owned by the same person.[2]

Since there isnt 8 stations in a market in Montana there is an issue....but there are two loopholes...one happens here in MN (where I use to live...Duluth MN)

There are at least two cases where a company has been accused of having television duopolies where they aren't legally permitted by using shell corporations to control a second station in a market.

* Malara Broadcasting owns two stations--WPTA-TV in Fort Wayne, Indiana and KDLH-TV in Duluth, Minnesota. Both stations' operations are controlled by Granite Broadcasting, which owns WISE-TV in Fort Wayne and KBJR-TV in Duluth. Malara files its Securities and Exchange Commission reports jointly with Granite, leading to allegations that Malara is simply a shell for Granite. Neither Fort Wayne nor Duluth have enough stations to legally permit a duopoly.[4]

But since MaxMedia already bought it, they cant create a shell company now ;)

But there may a new loophole... The Failed and failing stations issue

In the US, as in other jurisdictions, it is possible to obtain a "failing station" waiver; effectively a petition that a broadcast regulator (the Federal Communications Commission) exempt a broadcaster from some portion of the existing restrictions on common ownership in order to acquire and operate a station which otherwise would be economically non-viable or would be forced to cease operations.

Requests for failing station waivers have historically met with variable reception; in general, a prospective buyer is on the same wavelength with the FCC on failing-station policies if it can demonstrate to the Commission that:

* The failing station consistently received less than 4% of all local all-day audience share,
* The station is in poor financial condition, normally operating at a loss for at least the previous three years,
* The merger will produce public interest benefits, and
* The in-market buyer is the only suitable candidate as a sale to an out-of-market buyer would result in an artificially depressed price.[7]

Honestly MaxMedia can prove B,C & D with no issues. They have the setup already to get signals across Montana with their ABC Network. They have the ability to upgrade the signals to digital (right now none of the Fox stations in Montana except for the Helena subchannel are digital). The Helena Fox subchannel is owned by MaxMedia. It would be a perfect fit for them and I dont see the FCC saying "no" to this. If they don't then the stations go under and then they have to pipe Denver Fox back in on cable :)

funny...checking maxmedia's website they have the following stations as they own in Montana
Montana
KTMF-TV ABC 23/59
KFBB-TV ABC 5
KWYB-TV ABC 18
KMMF-TV FOX 17
KLMN-TV FOX 26
KBTZ-TV FOX 24

KHBB-TV
www.maxmontana.com
KULR-TV NBC 8
KULR-8 TELEVISION - Billings, Montana

hmmmmmm.....ya think they feel the FCC will approve? :)

But back to the original question...I could see stations leave within 30-45 days (Daystar) up to probably 90 days for others

funny...checking maxmedia's website they have the following stations as they own in Montana

hmmmmmm.....ya think they feel the FCC will approve? :)

Max Media's purchase of a couple of bankrupt (but still operating) FM stations here in Denver went through a few weeks ago and they haven't added them to their web site as quick as those former Equity stations...hmmm. :D

a bank...interesting

Valley Bank paid $7.05 million. This article from October mentions that Equity owes Valley Bank around $6 million. Maybe Valley Bank is only required to pay the difference between their bid price and what Equity owes them. If so, this is one way for them to ensure that they get something back for their $6 million rather than losing some/all of it in a bankruptcy.

Just a guess.

Well guess we can only hope for the best. Just as I set up my system RTN left 123W for 83W. Now we could lose much of whats on 123W. I've seen a lot of changes in just the six months I've been in this, I can only imagine what some of the rest of you have seen after several years of this. Guess we're too late to pool our money together and buy a station or two? just kidding, Blind:)

Anyone in the satelliteguys infrastructure know how many true fta-ers there are out there? Would it be possible to contact some of the buyers and let them know that by putting up fta satellite channels they are increasing their viewership and potential advertising demographics?

I've wondered that sometimes myself as well. Unfortunately FTA has gone from being virtually unknown in the public eye to being associated with pirating DN. Even some of the original owners of the C band stuff I ask about ask if someone got the 'black module' working again. I politely tell them I dont know, I dont do that stuff, a person could get in big trouble,but there is really free stuff that you can legally watch, with the right rx and dish. Once they find out what it is, (and isn't HBO/Starz etc), they usually loose interest and tell me to come get the dish.
I dont think our interest are even understood, much less considered in the marketing departments. If anything I suspect we are all viewed as a bunch of cheap freeloading pirates because we refuse to conform.
Thanks HBO for being such a whinny-tit and setting all this in motion.
On the other side of this, not being a well known entity is probably actually to our advantage. Without that relative obscurity the unencrypted feeds, backhauls, test channel broadcasts, would become very rare or non existant. We are probably lucky that anything this side of the bible thumpers and shopping nets are still unencrypted.
We have no orgaization, charter, PAC, or secret handshake, and the rank and file consumer is all about plug-n-play, so the LSD pushers take over the major portion of the viewing market in one fail swoop. I doubt we would ever get due consideration as a potential market, too few of us.
Hell, big M is turning their backs on us 4d guys and we PAY for service, AND top dollar for expiriable, antiquated, questionable stable hardware to be able to see what we pay for.
That being said, I absolutely believe everyone is entitled to an opinion..........ESPECIALLY MINE!.........lol

Equity knew about FTA because Gary (gas) had spoken with me once and was on the board here.

Since Gary is now with Luken (RTN) he did let us know about RTN when it moved :)

Well guess we can only hope for the best. Just as I set up my system RTN left 123W for 83W. Now we could lose much of whats on 123W. I've seen a lot of changes in just the six months I've been in this, I can only imagine what some of the rest of you have seen after several years of this.

Thats the nature of FTA...stuff comes and goes. But if this completely "goes" that is a big blow. Usually when channels leave its 1-3...but not almost 40 ;)

I tried following some of the links early in this thread and Avast reported them as virus infected.

I was wondering if anyone knows what sort of a timeline we are looking at. When will we know how this is going to play out. I may have the money to get a new receiver as early as tonight but it may be wiser to hold off until some of this is resolved.

got some info on where WMQF is going...and some more info (courtesy of northpine)
A newly filed application reveals more information about the new owners of FOX 19 (WMQF Marquette). MMMRC, LLC won WMQF in an auction with a $100,000 bid after Equity Media Holdings filed for bankruptcy. MMMRC is owned by Paul B. Belschner of Oneida, WI, and Scott R. Smet and Chad L. Smet of De Pere, WI. Brothers Scott and Chad Smet run Smet Construction Services in De Pere, and Belschner is that company's controller.

$100,000 may seem like a bargain-basement price for a big-four network affiliate, but there are several factors in play besides the bankruptcy:
-WMQF has no master control of its own. Equity runs a centralized master control in Arkansas to originate programming for its stations across the country.
-WMQF has not constructed digital TV facilities and will likely have to go silent on June 12 as a result, though cable coverage could continue. WMQF did not get a digital companion channel since its initial construction permit was issued after the FCC created a list of companion channels. The FCC granted an extension until December 12 to complete digital facilities.
-WMQF has to compete with Green Bay FOX affiliate WLUK/11 on cable systems across the U.P., and cable penetration is high. WMQF cannot force systems in Delta, Dickinson, and Marquette Counties to drop WLUK because it is on the FCC's "significantly viewed" list for those counties.

One factor that could help WMQF is satellite coverage. Competitor WLUC reports that DISH Network and DirecTV are both looking to establish a point-of-presence in the market that would allow carriage of local stations. However, the packages would not likely include WLUK. A court order prevents DISH Network from carrying out-of-market stations. DirecTV has the option of carrying out-of-market significantly-viewed stations, but has not exercised it in most cases when an in-market affiliate of the network is available

and the application
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...xt=25&appn=101310609&formid=314&fac_num=81448

got some info on where WMQF is going...and some more info (courtesy of northpine)

and the application
CDBS Print

What did you make out of this, do you think they will still transmit on G18? I will really miss this station if it goes, it was my weekly source of Detroit Lions football (yes i'm one of the few fans left).

Since there is nothing in Marquette except for the transmitter it might stay on G18 for a little bit

These 2 things might help it stay on satellite (not necessarily G18)
-WMQF has no master control of its own. Equity runs a centralized master control in Arkansas to originate programming for its stations across the country.
unless they can get a studio built overnight, it may be a little bit

-WMQF has not constructed digital TV facilities and will likely have to go silent on June 12 as a result, though cable coverage could continue. WMQF did not get a digital companion channel since its initial construction permit was issued after the FCC created a list of companion channels. The FCC granted an extension until December 12 to complete digital facilities.
no digital right now hurts. They do have an exception until 12/12 so its possible to get digital up and running by them but first thing is first.....FCC needs to approve it

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts