Ergen touts chances of a DirecTV-Dish Network merger winning approval

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Just Charlie talking out of his a** again.

It wasn't just Charlie. Going back as far as May of this year, Joseph Clayton said that, “I don’t discount any possibility," in regards to a merger. Had you read the article, you would have known that back in September, DirecTV CEO Michael White had said that, "Consolidation could be pro-consumer," but also said he didn't think it would make sense unless he knew what Ergen's wireless plans were. Maybe they'll have a better chance of a merger because it looks like Charlie is running out of time when it comes to wireless.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...et-in-jeopardy-amid-industry-deal-making.html

What is strange is in a DenverPost.com article dated 11/2011, Dish is said to be an opponent of AT&T's acquisition of T-Mobile because Dish believes, "it would harm consumers and competition by potentially discouraging new entrants into wireless." Yet, Charlie said in the same article that, ""If that merger is allowed to go forward, then I don't think there'd be any problem with us merging with DirecTV."

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_19285893

Who says the companies have to completely merge together. Maybe them partnering together would just be used as leverage against the networks. They could still run as separate companies and have their own contracts with programs and equipment.

I agree. A (acquisition or) merger does not necessarily mean anything changes for Dish or DirecTV.

Personally would not want a merger as that would be less completion which = higher prices. Don't they mention this every year? Along with AT&T buying Dish?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

3HaloODST said:
Personally would not want a merger as that would be less completion which = higher prices. Don't they mention this every year? Along with AT&T buying Dish?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Agreed. I still find D* to be more expensive.

If they merged does that mean sat guys would merg with DBS with sat guys buying dbstalk and Scott being the CEO? Just kidding

You'd be surprised how many people still do...never bothered to get themselves "un-grandfathered". After my father died last year, took a look at my Mom's AT&T bill...knocked it down nearly $100.00 per month. They just kept paying.

Wow! I swear ATT is evil!
That would be FOTL. Only idiots wear Hanes.

Are you kidding me?Hanes is the best underwear!!Inspected by number 12 don't ya know.:D

"Verizon made peace with cable" Charlie said......we are not a peace company....lol.
And he wouldnt consider selling his spectrum to Verizon. Good to hear,hes Not giving in..Why I personally love Dish

if this ever went through the companies would have to stay separate though Direct would have to get used to longer takedowns and get sling features, echostar would make all the equipment, dish would get bill increases and sunday ticket. though everyone would get to see charlie sheen meet the boston (hoppa) family

Well if good ole charlie were to take over D*..the first thing he would do is end exclusitivity of the NFL season Ticket(Too expensive)..that would cause NFL customers leave in Droves (back to cable) but would also probably make the merger look more competitive and in the long run make more money for charlie

Juan lay off the crack. The NFL Sunday ticket is one thing Charlie has wanted to add forever to DISH. It's one of the reasons why he has DIRECTV himself, hes even said this on the air.

I would be surprised if this ever did happen. Would be intresting though on how things would be layed out as far as equipment and such.

I don't feel a merger will ever take place because rural customers would be at the mercy of DishecTV. But perhaps the need to prevent them from merging will be eliminated should Verizon and AT&T ever deploy LTE to rural America, and even begin to offer video services. Anyway, during the entire OTA analog to digital conversion I often wondered by the FCC wouldn't permit both companies to place all the digital locals on shared satellites instead of wasting to many satellite transponders and their associated DBS spectrum? Likewise, I don't understand why the FCC, Dish and DirecTV don't agree to a set of DBS uplink/downlink/modulation/cryptographic standards (similar to Cable Ready and Digital Cable Ready...e.g., 64 QAM, 256 QAM, CableCard, Moca, etc.) so customers can buy their own equipment and it can be used with any provider since it is DBS Ready - just swap-out the crypto card. Gee, this only complies with the intent of Cable and Telecommunications reform acts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts