Err2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pjcl

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Earth
Friends, I’m having an issue on my newly installed 8-footer. I’m located at 93 W, and I have been scanning satellites in my LOS, being my western limit 135 W (run out of arm). To the east, I scanned 89 W, 87 W, 83 W, and then I get the “Err2” message. First I thought the dish was catching on the cable or something similar, but that is not the case. I also cleared any limit settings on the positioner. Any idea of what might be causing this? The system works seamlessly otherwise, going back and forth between the 15 satellites I’ve locked on.

just a WAG:

I thought "err 2" was the only error code those boxes put out.
(though, maybe it varies by brand/model)
...and it meant, "I'm moving your dish, but not getting feedback pulses from your reed switch".
That would indicate intermittent wiring to the reed sensor, either external wire, or internal to the motor.

If the motor has physical limits set (I've seen a cam and microswitch inside some), then that would stop the motor from running, there would be no reed switch pulses, and you might get the same situation.

Limit switches? What are those?

There are limit switches inside the actuator. They will protect your actuator from moving the dish too far and is somewhat of a backup to the software limits that you set with the receiver. You should have received instructions with the actuator that tells you how to set the hard limits inside the actuator.

Living and learning, Johnny. I had no idea about this second line of "stops". So, looking inside, where and how can one set (or reset) these limits?

Attachments

• DSCF7384.JPG
    DSCF7384.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 143
anole is correct ... you will get an err2 message for no return pulses but also when the limit switch is activated. the limit switches are usually triggered by a cam. loosen the screws and rotate the cam to set the travel distance. since you can move between some satellites now im more inclined to suspect the limit switches rather than the reed switch. if you have extra travel on one side of your arc you can also slide the actuator tube thru the clamp to adjust travel instead of adjusting the hardware limits. it is good pratice to set the hardware limits tho as runaways do happen. no one likes to flop a dish.

crackt out,.

from your picture... the black wheel on the upper left. adjust it so it trips the switches on the bottom left at the max east / west travel you desire.

crackt out,.

Thanks, guys! I will take it apart as soon as I can be out there without gloves and without my hands freezing solid. lol

Once again, what would I do without my SatelliteGuys "family"? Thanks, Anole, Crackt, and Johnnynobody, the issue was exactly like you described. I adjusted the limit switch and I was free to move eastwards!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)