Error 004 turning on or to a channel it appears and cancel clears it

tigershere

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
It's the 'change your channel by pressing up or down'
I just hit cancel :)

Anyways, I have gotten this a long time. I did the reset it requests and that would work for a long time but now it just seems to hit me at random when i change channels or if it's on that channel
I mainly see it on HD 205. I don't recall my HD or SD locals giving me that error. My old 522 does NOT return it on any channel.

It's just the 622

It also did it when I was getting 205 off of 61.5 but for the last few months I get it off of 129.

I am assuming a switch or LNB but I was not sure based on the few threads I read here searching for more info.

Searchijng for 004 returned me a lot of posts that had nada related to what I am seeing.

So what's dying, ?

004 is triggered when you change channels and the receiver realizes it is getting a transponder other than the one it is expecting, such as 119 transponder 15 when the channel you were going to is on 110 transponder 15. It is usually the result of the DiSEqC command that instructs the switch or LNB to change satellites fails to deliver the correct result. It could be the receiver failed to send out the command, the cable failed to pass it on, or the switch/LNB didn't respond to it correctly. Usually, just flipping the channel causes the command to go out again and the issue is resolved if it was just a minor hiccup. If it happens often, unplugging is recommended. If that fails to resolve it, you need to run a check switch test by going to menu, 6,1,1, check switch, then test. If that fails, at that point you will need a tech as there is a part failing. When you call in, tell them you've unplugged it and run the check switch as instructed at tech.dishnetwork.com.

thanks for that. I did a checkswitch and so far it has not done it and it was really doing it several times a day.
What made it bad was only if it did it when it was recording a show, for instance
If I was watching a channel and a timer goes off. I don't check of course right away and when I do check it says 'acquiring sat.....' and you just have to do a reset to get it fixed.
That's when I said it's time to make it stop

so far so good but I have a bad feeling somethings dying. I do know my drift has been not so great but it's been that way for years.
And the 522 has not done it once.

again thanks and hopefully it lives on as I really don't want to mess with dish and a getting a tech here. One reason is I 'moved' and I don't want to undo that just to get a house call :/
I like the Locals I have now since they are from my state but the DMA for me is actually in Mississippi. I mean if I want Miss news i'd move there ya know!
Yea ones technically closer but ones my actual state news and events like Bama football

lol

We were getting the same message frequently along with a few others but mostly this error. I did what it stated, and I pressed the Power button. However, the outdoor cables were loose, and I found out from reading the solutions to the error codes in the 222k receiver manual. Therefore, I simply tightened them, and everything is working fine now. It was weird since the other two TVs on the other Duo would show the local channels while the two TVs on the Duo receiver affected would have the screen on locals that said there was no need to call about the problem because Dish was aware of it. It was very odd; non-locals were not able to acquire the signal until the outdoor cables were tightened. Otherwise, I would get that 004 message before the cables were tightened.

At the LNB ? I just had mine tweaked not long ago so they better have put them on tight.

What about my splitters behind my units and the actual plugs especially on the 622 since it's the only one doing anything weird

The cables and splitters that go into each and they have not been touched in a very long time
Could those need to be checked as it's a wired mess behind all of that stuff

thanks!

The outdoor cables near the dish seemed just a little loose to me, and when I tightened them as tight as they could go, it solved the problem. I could not believe that something so simple could cause such a problem. I do not think that it would hurt to tighten the cables indoors either; I do that as well from time to time when I notice that they are loose.

I really hope that doing this will solve your problem, too. If not, then, maybe I was lucky that this worked for me.

Last edited:
thanks a ton. I'll know in the next 24 hrs I am sure. It turned on fine today and that's when I would normally see it first especially since i was on 205 when i turned it off
I swear it's that one channel doing it, lol
I am sure that's not true but I can't recall any other time it does it. I know it's never done it going from 205 to any other channel or any local HD. I actually tested that
Then I swap back to 205 and 004 but it is so random you can't make it do it.

I am first checking the cables behind the unit as not too long ago I was messing with some other stuff and I was bumping into those splitters and the cables going to the 622.

Again, thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts