ESPN Alternate?

mraveling

Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
I am getting the "game not available in your area" for ESPN HD... Assuming it is because the Wisconsin/Michigan game is the regional feed on ABC...

In that case, I'd like to see the alternate game (Colorado/Florida State) but ESPN Alternate gives me the blue screen... Should I get it? I'm in touch with Dish Support but they seem to be clueless.

i had the same issue in st. louis. i called and spoke with three different people and all were clueless. i did not check that channel, but looked at all the regionals and did not see it. i guess i will know next time.

This frustrates me when it happens to me. Why can't the software in the DVR somehow know to automatically switch to the alternate? In every case I've seen this, there was only one alternate game available anyway.

In previous years, when I had to work during the game I wanted to see, I scheduled the DVR to record the game. A few times when it was on my RSN (Fox Sports Southwest) all I got was a blank screne because even though it showed up in the guide on that channel, it was actually shown on an alternate. This is the first year I've noticed this issue with ESPN. It wasn't that critical to me because I wasn't particularly interested in the game that should have been shown on ESPN but I did call in and complain. I did notice one time that both ESPN and ABC were showing the same game at the same time because one had switched to the closer game... what is the point of that!? On that note, I'm quite sick of ABC/ESPN switching to other games in the middle of showing another game, even it it's not that close. Those that are interested in seeing that other game will either already be watching it on the other channel or have ordered ESPN gameplan if necessary. Those of us that are more interested in the local stuff get screwed when they switch away because the game we were watching would be blacked out on gameplan.