ESPN Branded Remote? Better than Harmony?

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Here is something that caught my eye at CES. It's a high end remote that features on screen guide (on remote screen) using wifi. Otherwise, functions much like a harmony.

The neat thing is that they are working to co-brand the remote with partners. The demo they showed is ESPN branded :)

Take a look at the pics:

#1 is the remote with a general screen.
#2 is the remote with the EPG on (note it has an EPG button (on remote) and an Guide button (on TV)

#3&4 Are pics of their brochure. Sorry - no scanner with me, hopefully you can read it ok.

The guy I spoke with is the VP of software development for the remote developer. Claimed the retail would be between $200-$299 depending on parternership, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    352.8 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    365.2 KB · Views: 699
  • IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    375.1 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    396.5 KB · Views: 518
From a marketing standpoint, I think it's an excellent idea for a television company to have a branded remote. I'm sure they could offer specific features tailored to the ESPN sports fan.

From a marketing standpoint, I think it's an excellent idea for a television company to have a branded remote. I'm sure they could offer specific features tailored to the ESPN sports fan.

Sure, it's a great idea. I just wonder how much of the espn-crazed market segment would be willing to cough-up $200+ for any remote. I know a bunch of real sports nuts, they watch nothing but sports regardless of the channel. Most of them lack HD service, they're not interested in any remote beyond what cable/satellite provide with the equipment.

Nice website... unfortunately lacking some important tech specs. For instance it clearly states that it's got auto wifi detection, but fails to say whether it supports any security or encryption. I've been known to buy remotes in the $200 price range, but I'm not going to do it if it means opening my wireless to the neighbors.

that is kinda cool.. As often as I make changes to my setup though I like the harmony software, how would the remote know if I swapped dvd players or moved the 360 to the bedroom and replaced it with the ps3?.... Did not read anywhere if this had a usb port or not.

Sorry - thought you said it was a rebranded Harmony.

My bad.

Personally I'd never touch one of the Harmony remotes in the first place. Probably not this one either.

If ESPN is behind this, look for a charge for every feature you want to use, kinda like their BS ESPN "Insider" costs on their web site. Want to change a channel? That'll be one dollar. Want to mute Jay Mariotti? Five dollars. Want to tune to a FOX Sports Channel? Twenty dollars.

Sorry - thought you said it was a rebranded Harmony.

My bad.

Personally I'd never touch one of the Harmony remotes in the first place. Probably not this one either.

Why? MY Harmony is the best purchase I've made for my tv. I no longer have my wife waking meup to turn on all the components so she can watch country music videos.

Why? MY Harmony is the best purchase I've made for my tv. I no longer have my wife waking meup to turn on all the components so she can watch country music videos.

I guess you don't realize how awful Harmony is until you use something else.

... but fails to say whether it supports any security or encryption ...
And wouldn't it be a great bundle of fun entering a 63 character WPA key into that thing using it's abbreviated keypad interface with the bad ergonomics?!

I'd call a WiFi remote a solution in search of a problem. And a bad solution at that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts