ESPN HD 1080p news:

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

LonghornXP

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Well I've just got word that Verizon's contract with ESPN states that Verizon fully support ESPN 1080p HD special events. I've also found out how this will work. First I don't know when ESPN will start 1080p offerings but this is what I'm hearing. Once ESPN starts offering 1080p they will have two seperate HDTV feeds that will be sent out to the various providers. First the cable company must support 1080p output from their set-top boxes as Verizon will be doing in the future. It will be done via a future firmware update so that a customer can select the box to output in 1080p instead of 1080i. The reason all the HD boxes must accept 1080p is because Verizon for example will get the 1080p feed which will be exactly the same content and all 720p content will be upconverted by ESPN into 1080p and Verizons set-top boxes must be able to accept that 1080p signal and scale it into 1080i and 720p for customers without a 1080p HDTV set. So in simple terms no customer would know they are getting anything different than what is being offered today. But for those of you with a new 1080p set with a new HDMI 1.3 connector (HDMI 1.3 will have 1080p output support) you can set the output of the Verizon HD box to output in 1080p and when a live sports broadcast in done in 1080p format it will display in full native 1080p format.

ESPN has plans in the future to offer ESPN Monday Night Football games in 1080p to start and it could start in the 2007 regular season from what I hear. But again the key is that Verizon signed a contract saying they will fully support ESPNs plans for broadcasting 1080p sporting events. This is very good news.

Also keep in mind that your new 1080p HD set must support 1080p over an HDMI port and that HDMI port must accept HDCP. Verizon and ESPN don't think this will be a problem as 1080p set sales have been pretty small and HDMI 1.3 should be entering into nearly all new 1080p HDTV sets. From what I hear the Verizon boxes will not output (at ESPNs request) their ESPN HD 1080p onto a 1080p set without the connection having HDCP at both ends. Now again this HDCP will only apply for outputting in 1080p. If you set your Verizon box to output in 1080i or below HDCP won't be an issue. Also you can record it in 1080p but the contract also stated that when Verizon adds 1080p support they must support a copy once flag over the HDMI with HDCP connector.

I've asked about this and I've been told that in the future new HD DVD recorders will use only HDMI inputs and outputs. I've found a lot of extra side related information from these talks by the way.

So from what I'm hearing once HD DVD recorders come out these HD DVD records will have both an HDMI with HDCP input and output. So you would take an HDMI cable and plug it into your Verizon HD DVRs HDMI output port into the new HD DVD players HDMI input port. You would take another HDMI cable that will come with the HD DVD player which would be plugged into the output HDMI port on the HD DVD player and plug it into the HDMI input on the HDTV set.

As I understand it HD DVD recorders can only record flagged content via HDMI with HDCP only and as such playing back that burned HD DVD disk can only be done at anything more than 480p using a TV with an HDMI with HDCP input like current HD DVD players.

So in simple terms I was told that a live 1080p ESPN broadcast will be flagged on Verizon so on the new HD DVD recorders that will be out in a few years to record it your set-top box and your HDTV must support HDMI with HDCP and everything must be connected via HDMI. So these new HD DVD recorders will only record protected flagged content via HDMI with HDCP only set-top boxes and the disk will also be created in such a way that HDTV output will only work on a TV set with an HDMI with HDCP connector.

I again know this doesn't sound too good but what did we find out in this.

Verizon will offer ESPN HD live events in 1080p. We found out what we needed to receive this. We also found out a lot about how future HD DVD recorders will work and how they will be restricted on recording flagged content. Now I also found out that HD DVD recorders can record and playback any content that isn't flagged via HDMI and output it in full 1080i res via component cables but I also found out that nearly all content companies are requiring that their content be flagged. This means that once HD DVD recorders hit the market all the movies for example that Starz has a contract with will require Starz to put in this flag or they cannot broadcast the said movie and as such they will comply to this as it will only affect external storage of the content. Watching it and even recording it via your DVR box won't be a problem. Even the Series 3 Tivo won't have a problem playing it but once you try to record it onto something else beyond the Tivo hard drive that is when you must have HDMI with HDCP support on your TV set and the Tivo itself must also support HDMI output with HDCP support or the HD DVD recorder won't accept the feed. I've been told that HD DVD recorders will only support HDMI as a recording input and any flagged content will also prompt the HD DVD recorder to make a playback only flagged HD DVD disk which again means that all current HD DVD players must comply with that flag and as such it again can only be played back over an HDMI with HDCP input on the HDTV set in anything over 480p format.

Sorry if this might have got confusing but I'm trying to be specific so that you all fully understand exactly how all of this will work.

Last edited:
That sounds awesome to me.

The HD Recording to HD-DVD with verizon sounds awesome as well. you'll finally be able to record HD like simple CHS and DVD recording in the day, but now in HD

BFG said:
That sounds awesome to me.

The HD Recording to HD-DVD with verizon sounds awesome as well. you'll finally be able to record HD like simple CHS and DVD recording in the day, but now in HD

Again you must remember that if what I'm told is correct that when HD DVD recorders come out they will only allow recording via HDMI connections only regardless of flagging. This means the device won't even have a component input and only an HDMI input. Now the device will have an S-Video input but as we know this isn't an HD input. We also know that nearly all popular shows will be flagged in some sort of way. Because of this the HD DVD recorder will record the flagged show onto a DVD regardless if your HDTV supports HDMI with HDCP or not but with one catch. The HD DVD Recorder nor any HD DVD player will be allowed to playback that disk in any resolution over 480p unless your HDTV set supports HDCP over its HDMI port. This means if you have an HDTV that has either an HDMI port (without HDCP support) or only component cables that HD recording will only playback in 480p. Again if the HD DVD player detects a flag in the show your recording the HD DVD player will burn the show onto a blank HD DVD but it will be flagged with a play only flag and because of this all HD DVD players will not playback a flagged disk over a non protection output in anything higher than 480p format.

I'm just trying to make sure you fully understand how this will work. Again its playback that is the problem with not having HDCP and not the recording of the show.

Yeah I have no problems with any of that. The connections and flagging are no big deal to me, I can have my system comply with all of that.

BFG said:
Yeah I have no problems with any of that. The connections and flagging are no big deal to me, I can have my system comply with all of that.

Good and by the way I'm looking at buying a new LCD flat-panel HDTV set from White Westinghouse which looks very good. Its a 42" widescreen flat panel 1080p HDTV set by the way. I went to a local electronics place that I haggled with as they know me and how much I spend with them each year. So they sold it too me brand new for 1,999 bucks with a free 5 year on-site warranty so I couldn't pass it up. I did have to buy something else by the way but I was buying it either way. Because I'm selling my place I needed to replace the Stove and Washer and Dryer so I asked the guy if I bought all of this at their place could they give me a discount on this. Also note that they don't have the unit in yet but when they do they will call me and let me pick it up. The first offer he gave me was the offer I took as I didn't expect him to go that low but than again he must know I haggle pretty well by now. He also told me he still make a profit on me that day for all the products which was amazing. By the way he said they would be selling it for 2399.99 after their 500 bucks off coupon thing they do so I felt I got a good deal. I got 300 bucks off and a free 5 year warranty which would cost me 300 bucks to begin with.

The model number is LVM-42w2 and these are the specs below.

Also note that this set doesn't have a built-in NSTC or ATSC tuner. This means it doesn't have a jack to plug in a cable directly from a wall jack. So you must use sometype of box for TV service.

First it fully supports 1920x1080p. It has a 1000:1 contrast radio and an 8ms response time. It also has a 176 degree viewing angle. Now here is the cool stuff.

Now onto connecters.
1 HDMI input with HDCP support. HDMI input supports 480i/p, 720p, 1080i AND "1080p" and yes I said it supports 1080p over HDMI as it is using the new HDMI 1.3 standard.

2 DVI inputs both supporting HDCP. Supports 480i/p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p.

1 VGA/D-Sub/RGB (no HDCP support). Supports 480i/p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. They suggest using this port with a computer as a computer monitor and they also suggest setting the computer to output in 1920x1080 @ 60hz as this is the sets native resolution. When Windows Vista comes out if you want to playback anything in HDTV you must use one of the two DVD connections or the HDMI connector as they all support HDCP. Now I'm just assuming this port doesn't support HDCP as it doesn't say one way or the other while both DVI and HDMI parts say they do support it.

The set also has 2 component inputs that support 480i/p, 720p and 1080i but no 1080p support. It is about 4.5 inches deep and weighs about 55 pounds.

They had this set on display and it looked just shockingly good on their live HDNet feed in the store from BHN. It looked better than most HDTV sets with it and as such I wanted it. Also as its an LCD flatpanel it doesn't suffer from burn-in issues like plasmas do and for once fast moving video was quite smooth without much stuttering or blending. I also know the owner and he makes sure that their sets aren't blown up with contrast as he has them placed in rooms without very bright lighting so he gets the sets setup like you and I would at home. I also checked the settings myself too to make sure.

I've never been very fond of off brands but this model is one of the nicest I've seen as far as 1080p support on all digital connectors, great picture quality, did I say 1080p, great features and a great price. I as of now could care less what brand logo this set has and all I must say that if White Westinghouse is getting this good these other brands better watch out because I'm impressed. White Westinghouse you have my fully undevided attention now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts