ESPN-HD looks worse?

My bet is that it is a ESPN problem and not a Dish problem. Try watching a MNF game on any other provider (yes, even FiOS) and you will hear complaints about the same crappy picture.

ESPN just has not woken up yet on HOW to deliver a good hd picture to it's providers.

MNF is my biggest gripe. The studio shows beforehand look superb and vibrant and sharp. Field shots, especially long shots look like crap. Closeup shots of players and the field look ok, but it's still subpar, imo.

My bet is that it is a ESPN problem and not a Dish problem. Try watching a MNF game on any other provider (yes, even FiOS) and you will hear complaints about the same crappy picture.

ESPN just has not woken up yet on HOW to deliver a good hd picture to it's providers.

Exactly. ESPN-HD has been subpar for as long as I can remember.

And the digital garbage at "scene transitions" has officially begun for the night. This is not an ESPN issue. Some games looked bad when I had cable, but this is ridiculous low bitrate garbage. Fix it, Dish... At least it isn't RSN bad. I swear Netflix streaming looks as good as the RSNs in HD at times. I want to be happy with this service, but sometimes it is very hard being a sports fan. And now it is getting choppy at times.... If the Dish encoders or receivers, as I'm not sure which it is, could stay smooth I'd probably care a lot less. I can't watch a full episode of CSI on Spike without some very choppy motion when things get bright. Not to mention the color banding and swimming blocks in the dark areas.

Edit: I must say it looks better now than it did at the very beginning of this Oregon-Oregon State game.

Last edited:
And the digital garbage at "scene transitions" has officially begun for the night. This is not an ESPN issue. Some games looked bad when I had cable, but this is ridiculous low bitrate garbage. Fix it, Dish... At least it isn't RSN bad. I swear Netflix streaming looks as good as the RSNs in HD at times. I want to be happy with this service, but sometimes it is very hard being a sports fan. And now it is getting choppy at times.... If the Dish encoders or receivers, as I'm not sure which it is, could stay smooth I'd probably care a lot less. I can't watch a full episode of CSI on Spike without some very choppy motion when things get bright. Not to mention the color banding and swimming blocks in the dark areas.

Edit: I must say it looks better now than it did at the very beginning of this Oregon-Oregon State game.

What gives, who do you complain enough to in order for something to change? I am sick of this subpar crap, Dish is calling HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)