ESPN-HD poor PQ!!! Something needs to be done NOW.

ehren

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
Wisconsin
Anyone wanna contact ESPN and find out what in God's name is wrong with this service, everyone from Directv to Time Warner customers are saying this is awful quality and it is, truly unwatchable with pixels all over the place and noise. It's the pits folks. Some say it's ESPN some say it's the provider, time to get some answers? This channel used to be amazing PQ. Now it's like wiping your ass across your screen!

Thanks

I watched the Division 1AA national championship game on ESPN2 tonight, and I thought it looked pretty good. Is it strictly ESPN or both?

I also watched the NC game last night and thought it looked great. Maybe they were using some of their better equipment for that game since it wasn't spread out all over the country on games.

I'm gonna go with the original poster and say it did look like ass on thursday night and probally still does, when viewing distance was 5-10 feet on 50 inch plasma. 5 feet was unwatchable. I thought maybe the L343 update that I received had something to do with it. However if I stepped back into my kitchen (15-20 feet away)and looked at the picture it looked great:D

No this is not the 1st time ESPN had issues. Everyone also needs to remember every game that they say thats broadcast in HD will not always look the same. Why due to they have different equipment at every event which is why some games look better than. So overall it will just depend what equipment they have at that event. So when they start using the same hardware at every event it will not always look the same. So ESPN has had issues in the past so overall I think most time things look good. But overall most time with PQ this is going to be on their end most of the time not all.

Well guys I said it like 10 years ago HD would get trashed and I bought an HDTV and 6000 reciever like 3 years ago and I took the plunge and I kick myself for it. After seeing SD get trashed when I had Directv years ago I knew HD would get the ass pounding treatment as well. Even my local OTA there is only 1 network that doesn't multicast. PBS in our area has 2 subchannels and the HD is just pisspoor.

5' on a 50" wow, that is close!

When I see something wrong with the pic. I always take a closer look.
Hell, 2ft is possible with Blueray. I have not seen any picture noise at all watching Talladaga Nights and Ice Age 2.:D
I think as time goes by and more and more people start seeing the quality you get out of blueray and I assume HDDVD(never seen it personally).People are gonna see what crap Dish and others are providing us. But nothings gonna change. Remember as they say "it's pure 100% digital quality" that can't match DVD.LOL

Anyone wanna contact ESPN and find out what in God's name is wrong with this service, everyone from Directv to Time Warner customers are saying this is awful quality and it is, truly unwatchable with pixels all over the place and noise. It's the pits folks. Some say it's ESPN some say it's the provider, time to get some answers? This channel used to be amazing PQ. Now it's like wiping your ass across your screen!

Thanks

If the problem is on Dish, DirecTV, AND Time Warner then I don't see how it could be a provider problem. It must be the ESPN source in that case, and ESPN has had problems with some of their HD feeds in the past.

I've been seeing alot of games, mostly football, that look like they are using low res cameras that are upconverted. Still looks better than SD but no where near the quality of true HD. No SD looks good on my projection :(.

My God, How bad can it get. The football feild is pixalating something terrible. DISH, please up the bandwitdth before you lose all your customers.:D
I have to admit it's still better than SD, but the gap is closing........

I must say, most of the HD I see on both D* and E* looks about the same as the SD looked on my 4:3 CRT TV. However, Food HD and National Geographic HD do look really nice. CFL Football looks pretty good on Voom Sports also.

I must be very lucky or my eyes are really bad, because I have NEVER seen poor video quality from ESPN-HD or ESPN2-HD, and I have been looking for it since these claims have aired.

I just don't see it. The picture looks like In there watching through a large window. Very good picture, not superb, but very good.

the game looked pretty damn good on my panasonic dlp last night. i have a vip211 and live just north of houston.

Thanks
I just about spit my drink when I read the last part. :haha

I have to agree last nights NFL game was one of the worst HD travestiess Ive seen. The vast concensus at AVS is that it looked good on some cable systems and stunk on D* and E*
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=771100&page=1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)