ESPN News HD- left side off the screen?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dem372

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
I am watching ESPN News HD, and the very edge of the left side of the picture is off the screen. There are stat boxes on the left side and I am missing the first letter or two of the words on that side. I have messed with picture size and all of that, but it still stays off. Does anyone else have this issue, or is it just a problem with my setup?

Thanks...

What type of tv and do you have the box on native or a set resolution?

its an older 52 inch Toshiba rear projection. 1080i capable.

I checked the settings on the box (I am kind of ignorant about this stuff) and all the resolution boxes were checked, but I didn't see anything about "native", so I guess it isn't set for that. Is that preferable?

Is the picture on your TV centered? Many TV's allow you to move the picture position (similar to a computer monitor). Try moving it to the right if you can.

Thats what Im wondering.

If you do Menu-Setup-HDTV, youll see an option for Native on/off.

Which light is lit on the dvr when you are on that channel? Its a 720p channel so thats what should be lit if Native is on. If its on, you could cut it off and try 1080i to see if it helps. I have to wonder though if the screen position doesnt need to be tweaked.

its an older 52 inch Toshiba rear projection. 1080i capable.

I checked the settings on the box (I am kind of ignorant about this stuff) and all the resolution boxes were checked, but I didn't see anything about "native", so I guess it isn't set for that. Is that preferable?

What DirecTV box do you have and how is it connected to that TV? I use to have an old Hitachi UltraVison 1080i HD Ready set that did that once.

I will have to check my other TV's/Receivers but on a Sony1080i monitor docked to a HR21-100 via HDMI to DVI cable the left side is missing a few characters on ESPN HD news. The only way to bring those characters back is to switch to 480i which isn't going to happen. All the other channels appear centered fine.

Need to center picture

I had the same problem until I adjusted the centering of the picture. I have the H-23- 600 HD receiver and in the setup menu under display there is a tab to click on for "CENTERING". I clicked the right arrow to bring the left edge of picture into view, without losing the right edge.

paulyme :flag: :tux:

The HR21-100 doesn't have a 'centering' tab under display & the external menu of the Sony only offers tilt &/or vertical correction. I could open up the case & manually calibrate the TV but it isn't worth it for one channel. If the colors were off I'd have it professionally calibrated again.

I never checked before today but both my Mitsub 1080P & Samsung 720P have the channel centered just fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)