ESPN+

Yragha

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Well we're now hours away from the groundbreaking debut (insert sarcasm) and not nary a detail on how to sign up (that I can find) or programming details.

I know it'll offer access to general G5 athletics for $5/month or $50 a year but other than that very little info. is on the web.

Has the new network spinoff been delayed? Seems if ESPN wants this new gig to succeed they might be doing a better job of advertising it.

ESPN's marketing of this seems purposefully misleading.

It says it has MLB and NHL, but this is only technically true. You can buy the out-of-market packages through ESPN, but why would you, when you can buy the same packages directly? It also say it has the PGA Tour Live package, which is extra feeds of golf similar to what DirecTV does some times, plus coverage during non-broadcast hours, but it never says is this is included or is likewise just reselling what you can already buy via the PGA Tour app.

All I know for sure is on this thing is some boxing, out-of-market MLS, cricket, rugby, and Ivy League and Sun Belt college sports.

I hope I don't need to subscribe to this to watch some of the content I would normally get on the Watch ESPN app. A lot of my college team's football and basketball games end up on ESPN3. I also like being able to watch specific matches during Grand Slam Tennis events ESPN carries.

Reactions: fireponromance
ESPN's marketing of this seems purposefully misleading.

It says it has MLB and NHL, but this is only technically true. You can buy the out-of-market packages through ESPN, but why would you, when you can buy the same packages directly? It also say it has the PGA Tour Live package, which is extra feeds of golf similar to what DirecTV does some times, plus coverage during non-broadcast hours, but it never says is this is included or is likewise just reselling what you can already buy via the PGA Tour app.

All I know for sure is on this thing is some boxing, out-of-market MLS, cricket, rugby, and Ivy League and Sun Belt college sports.

You get daily Mlb and Nhl games with the service. If you want a full package you can pay extra.

I hope I don't need to subscribe to this to watch some of the content I would normally get on the Watch ESPN app. A lot of my college team's football and basketball games end up on ESPN3. I also like being able to watch specific matches during Grand Slam Tennis events ESPN carries.

I could see this Happening or the opposite where people drop Espn and cable for Espn+

You get daily Mlb and Nhl games with the service. If you want a full package you can pay extra.

Is this the same game you get free on the MLB app, or a different one? MLB app has a free game every day . And why would I pay ESPN for MLB.TV package when I can just buy it directly?

I'm already hearing that content that had been included with Watch ESPN access is now being moved behind the ESPN+ pay wall. :(

Watch ESPN was actually the only TV Everywhere app I used on a regular basis because it offered content not available on the linear ESPN channels. I don't think I'd subscribe to ESPN+ just on principle now.

I did the forced update of the Watch ESPN app on FireTV, and indeed, comparing its content with the Watch ESPN app still on my Roku (which isn't getting ESPN+ at launch), some shows are definitely now locked behind the ESPN+ pay wall. I didn't check everything, but the most noticeable changes were 30 for 30 and OJ: Made in America require paid ESPN+ access now (still free on Watch ESPN). Thankfully, ESPN3 content is still free in the new ESPN+ app (called ESPN on FireTV). But it will be interesting to see what happens during the French Open and College Baseball World Series, whether some games/matches require a paid subscription.

From Cord Cutters News (so take it with a grain of salt), but many small college conference games will be shifted from ESPN3 to ESPN+.
ESPN Is Moving Games From ESPN3 to ESPN+ - Cord Cutters News

In an official statement from the Southern Conference about the move they said, “Based on its agreement with the Southern Conference, ESPN has the contractual authority to shift collegiate athletic events from ESPN3 to the newly launched ESPN+. This movement of content is also occurring at many other Division I conferences that partner with ESPN.”

Not all ESPN3 games are moving over to ESPN+. It looks like it’s based on whether the conference signs up for ESPN+. For now we can confirm the following college conferences have agreed to move to ESPN+: America East, ASun, Big South, Big West, Horizon, Ivy League, MAAC, MAC, MEAC, Missouri Valley, NEC, Southern Conference, Southland, Summit League, Sun Belt, and the WAC.

Fortunately for me, the Mountain West Conference isn't listed here, but it's probably only a matter of time. :(

Reactions: MikeI and Yragha
ESPN + by itself is not going to be for the hard core sports fan. But for me, someone who really enjoys Soccer, Hockey, and Rugby it fits my need perfectly. I have tried NBC sports gold, and Fox Sports, both left me wanting something more for my money. For the soccer fan, ESPN + carries the entire MLS Live out of market games plus the English Football League showing select games from league1 & 2. It also carries most of the minor league soccer league in the United States. About 450, United Soccer League matches. I am also a rugby fan and it carries hundreds of matches from Australia, England, and Europe. You get this along with College Sports, Boxing, Golf, Tennis, Cricket, the Canadian Football league, and access to a library of past sporting events and documentaries. I have the app on my phone, my roku, and chromecast. and it works well on them all. for me it is a hit even if it didn't offer the free MLB game of the day or the NHL games. I am using the free 30 day trial, but am thinking at $4.99 a month it is looking pretty good. ( makes me wonder about the price of Disney when it rolls out?)

I don't know what's on the Disney app, but I'm sure kids and their parents will experience a similar "betrayal" when the new Disney subscription service launches. I can't imagine cable companies are very happy about this, as the TV Everywhere app access becomes increasingly worthless, especially for their biggest and most popular content providers.

Reactions: osu1991
That’s good for someone without pay tv, for those of us that are already pay tv subs espn is double dipping and pulling a bunch of programming we’ve already paid for.
Yeah, if they made it available outside of cable and didn’t cut cable/sat content, it’d just upset the cable/sat companies as the premium for the channel. But this is ridiculous. They remove programming content, but don’t lower the price?? Glad I am not paying the same for it and getting less.

Disney screwed up, overpaid for content and we (or subs to the channel) are the ones that suffer.

I believe they'll ultimately have to throw in some NBA games along with bigger college match-ups yo be viable over time. MLS & the CFL isn't going to cut it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Like I said it works for me. I am a CORD CUTTER! When I cut the cord, I didn't exchange my cable or satellite bill for an over the internet cable bill. I have not had cable or satellite for over 20 years. I don't have Sling or some other internet cable provider. I watch TV on an antenna, all 45 channels; and have the internet for my Roku. I only pay for 2 services, Amazon Prime (primarily for the free shipping) and as of now ESPN +. So if these companies are looking for other income streams and they put out a decent channel at a reasonable price that I enjoy I won't be complaining.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)