ESPN2 game not available

This is a completely different situation than that. What I am suggesting is have the Hopper automatically switch to ESPN 2 ALT when someone actively selected ESPN 2 from the guide when it happened to be blacked out. It would be just like how the receiver automatically switches to the SD channel when the HD one has no signal due to rain fade. It wouldn't randomly switch to ESPN 2 ALT when you are trying to watch HBO.
I'm not sure that the receiver "knows" the channel is blacked out though. It likely had regular guide data, it receives a channel like normal, but Dish had replaced the fed with a slate.

I'm not sure that the receiver "knows" the channel is blacked out though. It likely had regular guide data, it receives a channel like normal, but Dish had replaced the fed with a slate.

Blacked out games usually have the circle with a diagonal line through it indicating that they will be blacked out if you hit the info button. There is also a message you have to click on instead of just video slate saying the channel is blacked out. I'm no programmer but it seems like a software update could program the receiver to automatically change channels instead of popping up that message.

Just a quick comment on this. Since the blacked-out game is usually available on ABC, the receiver should automatically tune to the local ABC affiliate, not the ESPN2 alt channel, which is showing a different game.

Just a quick comment on this. Since the blacked-out game is usually available on ABC, the receiver should automatically tune to the local ABC affiliate, not the ESPN2 alt channel, which is showing a different game.

But all the local papers and everything list the game they are looking for on ESPN2. Either way the current system isn't very helpful.

If this is a mistake on my part, isn't it a massive mistake on part of the customer service rep?

The massive mistake on your part was asking a phone rep.:eureka This is the exact type of question they are just not equipped to answer or are too lazy to find out. Many overlook the alternative channels till it happens to them then they never forget.
I get that last minute changes may not be available even to the CSR, but how much training does it take to teach them to have the customer check the alternate channels. It's that they never suggested it that is the problem. With cancellations and switching with all providers customer service could be something that retains customers.