Ethernet channel changing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jackal24

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Cincinnati
Are all current HD receivers (non DVR) capable of changing channels via Ethernet? I am thinking of signing up with D*, but I will be hooking this up to my own HTPC DVR and I don't want to mess with using an ir transmitter and it's inherent unreliability.n o.€+897

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

With the iPad APP or with a Sling Box you can change the channels via Ethernet. Technically the Sling changes it via IR Blaster

I will be using a HTPC running sagetv which can do the channel changing via Ethernet as long as the receiver is capable of it

I will be using a HTPC running sagetv which can do the channel changing via Ethernet as long as the receiver is capable of it

It has to be if the iPad uses the Ethernet to communicate with the receiver/DVR. It has an integrated remote control that changes the channels. And the DirecTV2PC software does the same

I just wanted to make sure that all current receivers are capable as I don't know which one I am gonna get.

I just wanted to make sure that all current receivers are capable as I don't know which one I am gonna get.

My answers are simply conjectures. Perhaps someone else with more knowledge can give you more details

I know the recvrs before the H/HR20's didn't have ethernet connections, so those would be No. I believe all the newer recvrs have a connection, so it is reasonable to think it may. Older ones though, I would say no, but if your talking a NEW sub, then you would be getting ethernet capable recvrs yes.

The receivers are capable of channel changing through ethernet using IP control over a network.

They are also capable of changing via USB using a USB to Serial converter and software.

Neither solution has software that is mass distributed or well designed for end users. Both are possible from what I recall.

I know next to nothing about using it, but here is some beta info on IP control:
Home Automation Landing Page

Info on RS-232 (serial via USB)
http://www.sbcatest.com/TechUpdates/DTV-MD-0058-DIRECTV Set-top Information for Installers-V2.0.pdf

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)