Ethernet Connection

armymp30

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Ocean Springs Ms
Connecting your 722 to an ethernet connection. Will this waive the 5.00 access they charge for not connecting a phone line to your reciever?

I have my ViP722 connected using a Linksys WGA600N wireless "game adapter." The little black box isn't cheap (over $80), but it has a lot of security features Linksys' previous game adapter lacked. And it is WiFi N-compatible (along with a, b & g).

As is the case with many recent Linksys products, avoid the cruddy CD wizard install disc thingie. Hard-wire connect it to your router using a LAN cable and then log directly into the device and use its web-based set up utility. That approach is much more reliable.

Connecting your 722 to an ethernet connection. Will this waive the 5.00 access they charge for not connecting a phone line to your reciever?
I was able to acheive this waiver - but only after about 4 phone calls over 10 days to Dish. I found it in fine print on their web-site and it still took them forever to acknowledge it. I think it showed up on my first bill, so I started calling, and basically they setup my account properly and told me to pay $5 less on the payment. It evened out in the end.

Short version: Make sure they waive the fee, and hold them to it if they don't. They are the ones that advertise that you can connect via ethernet to get rid of the fee.

Also - you want to make sure you are getting a consistent connection - so check that it's working once in a while.

Anyone know how much throughput these receivers use on the internet each month without downloading video on demand movies? My ISP has a 250GB/month limit.

You can download programs via the Internet as well.

It's not absolutely critical that the Internet connection used by a ViP series receiver stays "on" 100% of the time. My ViP 722 usually does its "phone home" thing at 3:00am.

If the Internet connection is down during that time the receiver will give you a message ("your Internet connection needs to be enabled to avoid the $5 fee") which you'll see the following morning when you turn on your TV.

One night's signal outage isn't going to automatically result in a $5 surcharge. I've had my ViP 722 hooked up to the Internet for a few months and haven't had to pay that $5 fee at all. And I've seen that signal outage warning a few times -at least once or twice a month. AT&T isn't perfect on DSL reliability.

Can you download the program guide via ethernet? If so, does receiver need to shut off to do it? (I have a 211)

Can you download the program guide via ethernet? If so, does receiver need to shut off to do it? (I have a 211)

I believe it comes off the sat, whereas I just in the last couple months hooked up my 211 to the internet (prior to that it wasn't hook up to a phone line either) and it always had the program guide updated.

VOD is through the sat dish, not ethernet.
I don't think thats 100% true. I think that the new 1080p VOD stuff comes from the satellite, but that a lot of that "DishOnline" stuff is still downloaded over your ethernet connection.

Dish is kinda mixing it up here. Some PPV channels, some Sat VOD downloads, and some internet downloads.

I think that they realize that the size of 1080p vod titles would ether take forever on those DSL connections, or eventually bust the caps on the Cable/FiOS ISPs. Saving a few TPs for VOD downloads for a few select titles would make sense.

There are a number of advantages of having internet connectivity with your satellite box. I guess the real question is what is Dish doing with it now, and what could they do with it in the future.

Now:
VOD Downloads
PPV Activity reporting (in lieu of a phone line)
Dish Online Downloads

Future:
Remote scheduling of DVR events (in Beta)
Better Dish Interactive software
SlingBox type of program distribution

I could even imagine them eventually supporting downloading from 3rd party sites such as YouTube or Netflicks. Think of all of those TV download companies who would love to get into as many homes as Dish has now? Blockbuster, Amazon ... I could easily see one of those trying to partner up with Dish. I could also see internet web support or email integration. If they partnered up with Google, they could have a Chrome Browser with gmail support, google maps, and google video, google news, and google calender native to the Dish STB. But again this is just speculation on my part. But it would be cool.

The Ethernet connection could conceivably be used to enhance certain HD channels, like mapping local weather info into The Weather Channel HD. The receiver could download firmware updates via Ethernet instead of using satellite bandwidth to do the job. Right now the main reason why I have my ViP 722 connected via Ethernet is just to avoid the stupid $5 fee for not having the thing connected to a phone line.

With prices being what they are right now, as well as the 24 hour limit, I don't have any use for PPV or VOD programming right now anyway. I'll just keep renting Blu-ray movies from the couple of video stores in my neighborhood. Better prices as well as 5 day or 7 day rentals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)