ethernet from joey to devices ??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JS_racer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Twin Cities MN
say can the RJ45 ports on Joey be used for internet to a device in the same location ?? tried but had no luck.
trying to connect a tv to my lan, in a location with a joey, wanting a wired connection where there is no wire at this time. thanks !!

I believe ethernet can be used in place of MoCa but only to the Hopper, no other devices.
Ethernet can be used on the Joeys but it is not supported by Dish. That said, ethernet uses your household Lan instead of MoCa and that could tie up resources. Also, I don't believe you can piggyback the Lan out of a Joey to a TV...

Reactions: charlesrshell
For FYI, OP:

I believe that in a standard installation, use of the Ethernet at the Joey is used ONLY for access to the internet for Dish apps and downloads or streams of content, and does NOT take the place of the MoCA delivering TV or DVR from the Hopper units--but MoCA is not used for apps and download or stream of content: that would be the result of turning Bridging OFF.

In the Network Settings, it gives status of either the RJ45 being active or the MoCA being inactive or active--but only as it relates to INTERNET access ONLY. And in my situation (MoCA 1.1), I always have bridging OFF so that the MoCA is kept as clear as possible so that the speed of multiple downloads of content are not compromised by the number of users on all the Joeys--of course, this means I have wired Ethernet in all the rooms. If one does not have access to wired connection for the Joey, then Bridging becomes necessary.

Now using the RJ45 port on a Joey to REPLACE the MoCA for sending live TV or DVR events from the Hopper to the Joey is a completely different matter, and as stated by others, can be accomplished and is being used as such by some members here (nice thing to know), but is not officially supported by Dish, so people use it as long as it works. Also, as stated by others, this can be taxing on older routers causing excessive heat or other hiccups (due to limited memory too many streams or devices, etc). I know of no way for the Joey to access, using the RJ45, any devices other than the Hopper or your gateway for internet access. Others may know, but I don't.

say can the RJ45 ports on Joey be used for internet to a device in the same location ?? tried but had no luck.
trying to connect a tv to my lan, in a location with a joey, wanting a wired connection where there is no wire at this time. thanks !!
No. Only the Hopper is capable of pass through.

Just add a Hopper Internet Connector (HIC) to the Joey that will give you ethernet for your connections...

Just add a Hopper Internet Connector (HIC) to the Joey that will give you ethernet for your connections...

So my hopper3 has a cable to the network switch, am I reading this correctly that I can tap this Internet feed at a joey location to use for a smart tv or other network device. Or is the HIC for injecting the internet into the hopper system??

Thanks.

So my hopper3 has a cable to the network switch, am I reading this correctly that I can tap this Internet feed at a joey location to use for a smart tv or other network device. Or is the HIC for injecting the internet into the hopper system??

Thanks.
Yes, you are reading correctly. The HIC will send internet into the room the Joey is in. You need to be sure to connect the cable that was going into the Joey to the Host side of the HIC, and the Joey to the Client side.