Ethernet switcher?

Cranked

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Milwaukee, WI
Hi,

I need help with connecting some devices in my house to the internet.

Right now my cable internet comes into my house, into the modem and then goes over to my wireless router which is then hooked up to my pc and my xbox. I also connect my ps3 wirelessly to the same router. (the other two are hardwired)

Well the problem is that my ps3 is too far from the router and it doesnt get good connection to it wirelessly and I cant move my router from its location because my house is pre-wired so I have it in the basement next to all the wires that come down to the box.

I have my xbox and ps3 in the same room and only one ethernet outlet in that room so only one can be hooked up at the same time and that is why I use the ps3's wireless capability.

The question is, is there a way to hook both systems up in the same room with only one outlet without unplugging the wire everytime I switch between systems? Im not sure if its possible or if they even make something like this but I was thinking something like how they have HDMI switchers for going between two HDMI devices?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

get another switch, plug the existing wire into the uplink port and then connect the PS3/xbox into the new switch.

ok, i didnt know it was that easy or if that would work. i dont know a ton about how internet protocols work through routers/switches. didnt know you could hook two together.

Thanks for the info!

Most new switches don't have a port set aside for the uplink. Most of them are all auto sensing and will make any port on the switch a uplink port.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)