Ethnic channels moving from 118?

Dish416

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Detroit
Does anyone know if Dish's ethnic channels are moving from 118? Just wondering because I keep getting these emails that say I may need to upgrade my satellite equipment or my multicultural channels may be affected. I spoke to a Dish CSR & they said I need not be worried this won't affect me, but the emails continue. Anyone know for sure?

No they are not moving from 118.7 in fact internationals will only be on 118.7 shortly...

In fact a few more channels will be going to 118.7 only over the next few weeks.

Does anyone know if Dish's ethnic channels are moving from 118? Just wondering because I keep getting these emails that say I may need to upgrade my satellite equipment or my multicultural channels may be affected. I spoke to a Dish CSR & they said I need not be worried this won't affect me, but the emails continue. Anyone know for sure?
Scott is absolutely correct that all International programming is being moved to the 118.7 Satellite. We are currently sending e-mails to customers on the eastern arc who have been receiving internationals off the 61.5 satellite. If you are sure you have the 118.7 then you will not be effected by the changes and may be receiving the e-mails due to our internal system not showing the correct orbitals on your account. If you would like my assistance to verify, just send me a PM and I will be happy to review your account! Thanks!!

Scott is absolutely correct that all International programming is being moved to the 118.7 Satellite. We are currently sending e-mails to customers on the eastern arc who have been receiving internationals off the 61.5 satellite. If you are sure you have the 118.7 then you will not be effected by the changes and may be receiving the e-mails due to our internal system not showing the correct orbitals on your account. If you would like my assistance to verify, just send me a PM and I will be happy to review your account! Thanks!!

Well, if this is the case for Luso Pack customers as well, Dish is about to make a HUGE mistake and again shows they have no clue where their geographic main market area for these customers are. Many of their Luso customers are in the Northeast US or even further Northeast... - the look angles and power for 118 which is not a DBS satellite but a lower power FSS are bad in many cases (we're not talking rain fade here - no signal). RTPi was an early Dish international channel and most of this market still either has single dishes on 61.5 or now 1000.4 . For those that already have a one dish solution for all their subs (1000.4 EA), they will not want another LARGE dish just for the internationals (an WA shift would be out of question with 129 even lower on the horizon), especially since they currently get all the Luso pack on 61.5 along with their Latino or English channels (well, almost all... 739 BNFC has also been on 61.5 for months apparently (according to the channel list) but someone forgot to turn it on in Cheyenne - it still only works on 118...) Stay tuned and watch these subs go away... just my .02

Last edited:
I can agree 118 can be harder to get, but Dish is doing the right thing. The amount of subs to Luso pack is nothing compared to the subs who want full time HD on all channels, with the real sore spot being sports. Dish is going to need all the space on 61.5 to accommodate the current and coming HD. Putting all international on one Sat makes alot of sense.
I also have said for a long time, and have recently been shown to probably be correct, you can forget streaming for any real TV watching. The internet providers either have started or have stated they will have caps or much higher price tiers for those who use alot of streaming. Using a Roku for watching news channels not otherwise available would certainly work out, but to watch hours and hours of programming as you would from Satellite or Cable may not be economically feasible, and for some not as reliable.

So if it's a case where someone can not get the signal, you would be correct, Dish could lose that subscriber. But if it's a matter of a larger dish, I'm betting most will just get that.

By the way, Dish has shown they know precisely where their customers are. They made a decision on not carrying any NYC RSN if they cost too much based on how few (comparatively) customers who can even get them they have, and how many of those who would not care.

Keep in mind, there are some (including me) who could see the WA just fine in the East, but find their locals in HD only on the EA, but can not see it. It's a decision Dish had to make based on many factors. I had to find a precise spot to get 61.5, and take down a tree. My point being it isn't just international subscribers that have to deal with change.

Last edited:
I would say they are doing the right thing in the wrong place :) I do agree with putting all international one one sat may make sense but in that case they need to find a better orbital position to serve all CONUS international customers (and preferably) not on a FSS satellite. After all they do have better Conus positions 105 available and even 110. They also have 85 but perhaps too far east for western customers. I have to disagree on the streaming though, especially if the ISP is also the bundled TV services provider there should be no issues with bandwith caps. FIOS already carries RTPi , it will be interesting to see if uVerse picks it up as well. Taking a longer view with increased bandwidth at the home available, I actually see streaming as the surviving delivery system... bye bye DTV and DISH and perhaps even Comcast on coax...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but....

Cable Giants Seek to Limit Internet Streaming, Slow Netflix | The Wrap Media

There are what, a bazillion articles talking about this? I have no doubts that is just the beginning. Understand they want to stop exactly what you think people will do, go to all streaming. They will or are either slowing down the speed, and/or charging more. Just like airline fees, you think they will stop there?

It's Dish, so anything is possible, but I suspect cricket will stay at least till the end of the season on 61.5, which if like real Crickets is when it gets cold? lol.......

But there is NO season for cricket! It's year-round. When it gets cold in England, they simply move to Australia, the Carib, India etc! Pretty smart....lol....

Well, the Luso Package is the only reason I subscribe to Dish, if it moves out of the 61.5, good bye dish. The big dish for 118.7 and cutting the trees is not an option for me and many others I know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts