Status
Not open for further replies.

Parlyle

Pub Member/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 16, 2004
West Central Wisconsin
Has anybody gotten any of the "eTrex" GPS units from Garmin? I was wondering how anybody liked them. They are more in line budget wise for my family. I do go into the woods a few times a year, and only have gotten lost 1 time. That's the last time I want to do that dumb thing. Was gone wandering for over half a day, what a chilling event that was.
Thanks for the comments:
Lyle

I have the eTrex Vista. The display is monochrome. I understand there are newer models that are color. I have Garmin's MapSource software and the interface cable. I can transfer detailed maps, tracks, routes and waypoints.

K4LK said:
I have the eTrex Vista. The display is monochrome. I understand there are newer models that are color. I have Garmin's MapSource software and the interface cable. I can transfer detailed maps, tracks, routes and waypoints.

I have a Mac computer (iMac-15") If I were to purchase one of these, can I use the CD to put in software from a mac? To read from it? How about the interface cable. Is that the USB cable to get things off the internet? I read that in 2006, they would be mac compatable, whatever that means. I work with a guy that swears by his. (He has the same one, the Vista) Hunting hasn't been the same since he got it. But still brings a compass with him. The batteries don't last very long in the woods. The Garmin website is awsome, with all the gadgets to go along with these things. I am really itching to get one.
Thanks for the info:
Lyle

Parlyle said:
I have a Mac computer (iMac-15") If I were to purchase one of these, can I use the CD to put in software from a mac? To read from it? How about the interface cable. Is that the USB cable to get things off the internet? I read that in 2006, they would be mac compatable, whatever that means. I work with a guy that swears by his. (He has the same one, the Vista) Hunting hasn't been the same since he got it. But still brings a compass with him. The batteries don't last very long in the woods. The Garmin website is awsome, with all the gadgets to go along with these things. I am really itching to get one.
Thanks for the info:
Lyle

Me to (a Power Mac G5). I don't think the CD has Mac software on it but you could run it under Virtual PC (unless your iMac has one of the new Intel Core Duos). The interface cable is 9-pin serial. I have a Keyspan adapter on my Mac that gives me a standard PC COM port. The eTrek Vista definitely eats batteries.

I have the eTrex Legend. Simple b/w screen hand-held unit. It's a nice gadget. I've used it on a few road trips domestically (and have detailed Chi-town maps loaded right now), but the impetus for the purchase was a big trip a year and a half ago w/ a buddy of mine to New Zealand. It was just fantastic to have both on the road and off.

I've used VirtualPC (w/ Windows XP) and a Keyspan USB-to-Serial adapter to download maps onto the device from my TiBook (OS X--various flavs over time).

Garmin recently announced they would be coming out w/ Mac software, but I don't know when. I recommend VPC (on a pre-Intel Mac), do some web searching...I got mine, w/ XP Pro, for only $120. I've used it for a few other PC-only things...not fast but usable.

Still Searching.............

I have almost decided to purchase one of the new MacBook Pro's. (With the Intel Core Duo). Have any of you looked into those, and do you think I could use the Garmin software without installing XP on one side of the chip? I am not a wizard when it comes to Windows. I use them at work to make printing plates from digital files for offset printing presses, but thats about the extent of it.
I went to the Garmin website and they mentioned that the Mac software was to come out sometime late in '06.
Thanks for the responses:
Lyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts