European cell phone causing video interference?

Matt Manos

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Springdale, AR
Hello

I have a customer using a 381 in a QAM system who says his receiver is knocked out for five minutes almost every time his cell phone rings. He has a German-made phone. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Yes. I had a customer (with an american phone) who would lose signal every time she called out or received a call, when she was within about 20-25 feet of the receiver. Unfortunately, I was unable to provide a solution for this one.

You know the FCC disclaimer thing about accepting interference from other "appliances"...chalked it up to acceptable interference.

Thanks for the input. I told the customer to replace the cables behind the receiver with good screw-on jumpers and we would go from there. Weird ass silly sh*t, if you ask me.

Just one of the very few cell phone frequencies that doesn't jive with Dish is my assumption.

Who is his provider? Is he using something with his german phone other than a local provider? Is he using VOIP? Do his cell calls come in through his cable line? These would be interesting to know for possible solutions.

And when you say "almost" every time the phone rings...if you could find out if the calls are from specific people or places when he doesn't lose his service?

Last edited:
I've seen nextel radios that when you got a direct connect call there would be a rapid shhh shh shhh noise produced on my computer's speakers a few seconds before the person would talk.

When you open up a line of communication on a cellphone, the transmitter puts out a great amount of signal. So much so, that bleeding over into a large portion of the frequency spectrum is possible. The DISH receiver may not be adequately shielded against interference.

Does a 381 have a three prong power cord?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts