event skipped: by priority

Doesn't matter. A few more years and everything will be on Netflix streaming anyway. :D

Only if that few more years bring Firer Optic access to each and every home. Until then, millions have to deal with overprives, slow "broad"band or even dialup.

Comment on why shows may not start on time: First, some of it may be the networks. They don't like DVRs. They want us to watch live. So mess with the timing, and some may watch live to make sure they avoid their DVRs cutting off programs.

Second, satellite is a little slower, particularly with the networks. First, the local signal has to take a fiber line to the uplink center. Then, it has to be encoded. They it is sent up to the satellite 22 thousand miles away, then amplified and sent back down. That whole process can tale several seconds, and may be just enough to throw off our DVRs a little.

What's worse is when the timer cuts the end of one show off and changes channels, so you can't even go to the beginning of the next show and see the end of the one you missed.

Not only that but if you choose "Start Over" after a show has started recording and the end is cut off by the timer when you get to the end of the show and exit the DVR dumps the buffer of the channel your on and you can't go back. So if your only 5 min behind live tv you will loose the 5 min. That really sucks too.

Rural increasingly does not matter to companies that need to reduce infrastructure costs to make a thin profit. Satellite has made the outer suburbs and rural areas their niche, but, hard wired services don't need to reach that far and probably won't.

Fiber will continue to be installed where it is most effective because it reduces infrastructure maintenance costs and also breaks the telcos free from restrictions tied to them over copper lines.

Streaming/downloads WILL become the primary source for content, with rebroadcast services becoming the niche service to those who cannot and will not ever get broadband. Even disc based content delivery will eventually go away. Creation, storage, and distribution of copy protected disc based content is an expensive business.

There are plenty of those who will always want a disc or some hard copy of the content they enjoy but the vast majority of the paying masses just want their content and don't care how it gets to them. Just look at how profitable PPV and "On Demand" is and you will see that those without broadband will soon be left out.

I wouldn't be surprised if schools, libraries, and maybe a business or two didn't offer network access so that subs could download their daily doses of whatever you want to watch onto portable storage that you then take home and watch in your non-broadband home. Instead of going to Blockbuster and looking at all the dvds and BDs, you jack-in, download, and hit the road. It could even be an ATM service with plugins for your device. You can take care of your banking and AV content needs all at one convenient kiosk.

I have all my timers set to 1 minute before and one minute after and have not had any troubles with that.

The default is three minutes late on ending and you are trying to tell us that you have your's is set to 1 minute and you NEVER miss the end of a program. BULL sh*t, who are you trying to kid? With the end at 3 minutes, I still miss a few seconds of most programs and a full minute of some.

The default is three minutes late on ending and you are trying to tell us that you have your's set to 1 minute and NEVER miss the end of a program. BULL sh*t, who are you trying to kid? With the end at 3 minutes, I still miss a few seconds of most programs.

Not sure what you are watching but I haven't missed an ending yet. Nice mouth by the way.

I had to revamp a lot of my OTA timers on my 3 622s because of too many priority conflicts with the programming starting up again in the past week or so. I'm going to look at the DVRpal DVR so I can record two OTA at a time on one box and ditch one of my 622s. 2/3 of my recording is OTA. It is frustrating because I missed at least two shows in the past week (one being The Office).

Rural increasingly does not matter to companies that need to reduce infrastructure costs to make a thin profit. Satellite has made the outer suburbs and rural areas their niche, but, hard wired services don't need to reach that far and probably won't.

Fiber will continue to be installed where it is most effective because it reduces infrastructure maintenance costs and also breaks the telcos free from restrictions tied to them over copper lines.

Streaming/downloads WILL become the primary source for content, with rebroadcast services becoming the niche service to those who cannot and will not ever get broadband. Even disc based content delivery will eventually go away. Creation, storage, and distribution of copy protected disc based content is an expensive business.

There are plenty of those who will always want a disc or some hard copy of the content they enjoy but the vast majority of the paying masses just want their content and don't care how it gets to them. Just look at how profitable PPV and "On Demand" is and you will see that those without broadband will soon be left out.

I wouldn't be surprised if schools, libraries, and maybe a business or two didn't offer network access so that subs could download their daily doses of whatever you want to watch onto portable storage that you then take home and watch in your non-broadband home. Instead of going to Blockbuster and looking at all the dvds and BDs, you jack-in, download, and hit the road. It could even be an ATM service with plugins for your device. You can take care of your banking and AV content needs all at one convenient kiosk.

Broadband over power lines or WiMax may bring broadband to rural areas. Probably later rather than sooner though.

It would be nice if I could queue downloadable content and download it on a high speed connection somewhere else, like a kiosk with a dedicated 100mbps internet connection. Or I could use the internet connection at my office which is 100mbps fiber! Though the internet infrastructure as a whole will have to be upgraded because there are only half a dozen sites where I have been able to download anywhere close to 100mbps, Microsoft being one of them.

Everytime I record Grey's Anatomy, I miss the last minute of the program and have to go to the Practice to watch the last of the first show. So, I set the Grey's timer to end four minutes late and it skips the practice. Dish should adjust the timer to end on time and start on time and let us adjust those that need adjusting. Three minutes late is not three minute late when you miss the end of a program.
Just record Greys and set it to end 1 hour later. You will then have both shows on one tuner with no misses.

Everytime I record Grey's Anatomy, I miss the last minute of the program and have to go to the Practice to watch the last of the first show. So, I set the Grey's timer to end four minutes late and it skips the practice. Dish should adjust the timer to end on time and start on time and let us adjust those that need adjusting. Three minutes late is not three minute late when you miss the end of a program.

Here is the problem:

Both are on the same channel so the 3 minutes after is ignored - one minute would be too. They are both set to record on the same tuner. You have to make sure Practice is set to record on the other tuner to make sure you get the end of Grey's.

When you have multiple recordings piled up on the same day, it takes special attention to make sure you get things exactly right but if you take the time, it will work out.

This happens to me quite a bit, but mainly from my own negligence. I have learned to go through and check when I create a new timer and make sure I do not have anything conflicting. Sometimes you have to get creative on doing the timers. I also do not like the fact that it defaults on 'all episodes' instead of 'new episodes' option when you select something to record. But that's just me ;)

B-)

No, I agree. I find the defaulting of recording all episodes extremely messy for me as I have to either cancel the events (very laborious chore), or it max out my internal HDD, as I have a lot of different shows record. DISH FIX THIS NOW!

Only if that few more years bring Firer Optic access to each and every home. Until then, millions have to deal with overprives, slow "broad"band or even dialup.

Comment on why shows may not start on time: First, some of it may be the networks. They don't like DVRs. They want us to watch live. So mess with the timing, and some may watch live to make sure they avoid their DVRs cutting off programs.

Second, satellite is a little slower, particularly with the networks. First, the local signal has to take a fiber line to the uplink center. Then, it has to be encoded. They it is sent up to the satellite 22 thousand miles away, then amplified and sent back down. That whole process can tale several seconds, and may be just enough to throw off our DVRs a little.

I know the notion that the ending times over into the next hour or start of a show is often attributed to the nets not liking DVR's, in fact the networks do it for the same reason Ted Turner did it years ago: to keep people tuned to their channel and not tune to the competitors. The majority of TV households DO NOT have DVR's. The networks concern is for the linear viewing experience that most people view their TV: live.

Another thing they do in concert with the late end times is immediately start the next show with no commercial breaks. The Nets are no longer terrified of DVR's they have come to count on them being counted on the ratings. They are terrified that ending a show at the proper time will cause millions to change channels and not miss a moment of the competition's shows. On the contrary, those of us with DVR's can avoid that in most cases.

Has no one noticed that all Dish schedules shift on 5 minute intervals. They never end on 2 or 3 minutes after the hour. (I suspect this comes from the Tribune Media Service.) We know that some shows will often run over their bracket by a couple of minutes, especially shows where a few more commercials will bring in the most money, like: ER, Grey's, Desperate Housewives, CSI. Even the minute before the local news. Just a thought.

You do not want to absolutely set the start and end times because if the schedule calls for a shift week to week, you will likely miss part--this is where padding works better. This used to be more of a problem with football games but most a now run out to round length. Exception, the game can completely wipe out a movie review program (depending on your time zone) and of course there is no adjustment nor does it then pick up a second showing if there is one.

-Ken

Has no one noticed that all Dish schedules shift on 5 minute intervals. They never end on 2 or 3 minutes after the hour. (I suspect this comes from the Tribune Media Service.) We know that some shows will often run over their bracket by a couple of minutes, especially shows where a few more commercials will bring in the most money, like: ER, Grey's, Desperate Housewives, CSI. Even the minute before the local news. Just a thought.

You do not want to absolutely set the start and end times because if the schedule calls for a shift week to week, you will likely miss part--this is where padding works better. This used to be more of a problem with football games but most a now run out to round length. Exception, the game can completely wipe out a movie review program (depending on your time zone) and of course there is no adjustment nor does it then pick up a second showing if there is one.

-Ken

All of my timers are set to one minute before, one minute after. On several occasions when a show shifted its time slot or when a show has gone over time like House did one time last year when the guy held everyone at gunpoint until they solved his problem, my recordings have changed accordingly. I had one show shift 15 minutes so the timer started at one minute before at 14 minutes after the hour in accordance with the shift and on the House episode it recorded on minute before the hour and extended the 15 extra minutes plus the one minute after to equal 1 hour and 17 minutes total.

So far, if the EPG gets updated in time, my recordings have been spot on.

The problems arise when the EPG is wrong, the padding is more than the default, and when back to back shows get set for the same tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts