Exchange 612 for a 722K??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

goldmantx

Original poster
Jun 21, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Long time lurker - first time posting as there has been so much good information here!
So I have been with DISH for 7 months now and for almost that whole time I have had issues with my 612 receiver. It locks up on reboot constantly (I come down in the morning and listen to the fan spin on high until I reset it - happens several times a week and it sits out in the open on top of my TV stand - not ideal) and it also freezes when I have show/s recording and I go to look at something, it then needs to be reset and I lose time on one or 2 recordings. I know these are documented issues with the 612 and I haven't seen that they have fixed them. The other issue is that I have a 211 upstairs for my kids with a Tivo attached (I know it's not technically supported) and I was told in order for it to work properly, we have to program a timer on the 211 AND Tivo, this is my kids TV and I'm not sure if they will ever remember to do this all the time.
I am looking at several alternatives - 1) Swap out the 612 for a new one (doesn't really solve any problems - still software related), 2) swap out for a 722k but that will cost me $115 but I will lose a $7/mo. charge as it will also feed the TV upstairs(easier for kids to DVR shows) or 3) Terminate early, let DirecTV pay for my ETF and move on and get the whole home DVR.
I'm not keen on having to pay the $100 because they haven't been able to fix software problems and I left DirecTV bc they wanted to charge me up the Wazoo to convert to HD.
Any other suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

Long time lurker - first time posting as there has been so much good information here!
So I have been with DISH for 7 months now and for almost that whole time I have had issues with my 612 receiver. It locks up on reboot constantly (I come down in the morning and listen to the fan spin on high until I reset it - happens several times a week and it sits out in the open on top of my TV stand - not ideal) and it also freezes when I have show/s recording and I go to look at something, it then needs to be reset and I lose time on one or 2 recordings. I know these are documented issues with the 612 and I haven't seen that they have fixed them. The other issue is that I have a 211 upstairs for my kids with a Tivo attached (I know it's not technically supported) and I was told in order for it to work properly, we have to program a timer on the 211 AND Tivo, this is my kids TV and I'm not sure if they will ever remember to do this all the time.
I am looking at several alternatives - 1) Swap out the 612 for a new one (doesn't really solve any problems - still software related), 2) swap out for a 722k but that will cost me $115 but I will lose a $7/mo. charge as it will also feed the TV upstairs(easier for kids to DVR shows) or 3) Terminate early, let DirecTV pay for my ETF and move on and get the whole home DVR.
I'm not keen on having to pay the $100 because they haven't been able to fix software problems and I left DirecTV bc they wanted to charge me up the Wazoo to convert to HD.
Any other suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

Hi, I would be happy to assist you with the issues you are having with the ViP612. I have to say that i believe you have a bad receiver and the issues you are describing are not software related as the 612 is a reliable receiver. I can certainly exchange the receiver for you if you would like. I can also look into you upgrade request but I will need you to PM me your account information to see what I can offer on the upgrade to a 722. Please just let me know, thank you!

I've had two leased 612s for nearly as long as they've been out, and neither have done this to me except for maybe once or twice/year. (I think they were brand new.) I say "get a good one". But... The 722 idea is a good idea too; I own one of those as well.

Another option for your 211 would be to pay the one-time $40 fee and get the DVR conversion. No Tivo needed in that case. Menus look the same (so I hear) as the 612/722.

So I thought about adding a HD and paying the $40 fee to the 211, but then I would be close to $100. At that point is it better to opt for the 722?

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd take Mary up on her offer and get that 612 replaced. This should cost you very little, and (we hope!) will solve your immediate problem. I agree with the others; I don't think this is software, but rather hardware.

If later on you decide to upgrade to a more fabulous receiver, you can at no greater cost than right now, and possibly (after your commitment expires) for free. If you upgraded to a 722 but kept the 612 (yet another option), that will cost $10/mo rather than $7/mo as the 211 does, and requires no Tivo.

Mary has been super helpful (love the DIRT folks) and I think I might upgrade to the 722K and drop the 211 receiver. It should solve all of my issues and will drop $7/mo as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts