Digital Dude

Home Theater Editor
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
SHADO
SatelliteGuys EXCLUSIVE!
BenQ W500 720p Projector MSRP $999

BenQ to introduce W500 projector in November with a $999 MSRP.

HIGHLIGHTS

Native 720p (1280 x 720)
5000:1 contrast ratio
Dynamic Iris
HQV picture quality
Horizontal anf vertical lens shift
2 Component, 1 D-sub, and 1 HDMI input
D5 panel
100" at 3 meters throw ratio
12v trigger
1.2x zoom
140 watt lamp rated 2000 hours (3000 eco mode)
Low 28db audible noise in eco mode

I don't have my notes with me as they're packed for the flight home but more details to come!

Also look forward to a review of this exciting new projector here on SatelliteGuys.US from yours truly.

Digital Dude out for now.

Attachments

• P1010643.JPG
    P1010643.JPG
    222.2 KB · Views: 648
  • P1010644.jpg
    P1010644.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 652
Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe similar to this: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD70.htm but for $500 more you can get a industry recommended award winner in the PLVZ4, an extra lamp and a 92-inch 16:9 screen. Those 2 added items really drop the projector down to near the same $1000 that the Optoma H70 & this BenQ are selling for. AND YES, I do have one, and REALLY think its a better deal, not just because I own it; just laying down some comparison while I do believe that both of these new projector are great deals as well.

Last edited:
1100 lumens.
D5 panels.
999 is msrp, may street for less.
BenQ is noted for lamp specials but don't know about this one and specials yet.

Is 1-2 generations more advanced fron PLV-Z4, though the Z4 rocks.

BenQ stands behind their projectors better than virtually any other company, I'm writing an article on that subject to be posted soon.

The Z4 is nicer then the Z3 or Z2, D4 panels etc.

The Z4 first shipped in September of 2005.

The Z4 came out in 2005, the W500 is coming out in late 2006. That's alot of time in technology.

Ok, I guess I will wait for the details because thats a lot of assumption just because the Z4 is a year older. One year newer doesn't mean it is a better product, just newer. I mean really, a 2005 Corvette is still better than a 2006 Malibu.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
One year newer doesn't mean it is a better product, just newer. I mean really, a 2005 Corvette is still better than a 2006 Malibu.

My new sig quote for the month :)

Benq W500

Digital Dude, Is this an LCD projector? Is that physical lens shift? Or is it the image shift, that just moves the image up and down slightly? Did you see this at Cedia? Thanks.

charper1 said:
Ok, I guess I will wait for the details because thats a lot of assumption just because the Z4 is a year older. One year newer doesn't mean it is a better product, just newer. I mean really, a 2005 Corvette is still better than a 2006 Malibu.
That analogy works for an automobile. In the high tech consumer electronics world, a year or two can be a lifetime for a product line.

I agree, but that is still making large assumptions, like that the newer product has the updated feature sets and is using the best assembly processes to ensure a quality build and better overall performance. Just being NEW does not ensure any of this.

I am not attempting to bash this item, just simply advising to take a wait and see attitude over the "I'm pre-ordering now" or "I must have one" simply because its new and/or because its $999 MSRP, before getting some real world & professional tests and reviews. Not doing so is what leads to buyers remorse.

Last edited:
Charper and I like to go round every now and then since I'm a DLP PJ owner and he's LCD. We just razz each other from time to time.

This years CEDIA is the first time I've come back with "projector envy". In the past 720p LCD was the only affordable alternative to my beloved HT1100 576p DLP and unless side by side 95% of people couldn't tell the difference.

Things have changed, the 1080p projectors (and displays) finally have me turning green.

The W500 hasn't been announced yet but looks good to my "DLP" eyes. :)

hi guys

I really like BenQ stuff, and highly recommend it. Yes it is not Runco, but is frkn awesome given the price points.

BenQ has hit many home runs in the AV field and will continue to do so.

Regards

Gregg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)