EXCLUSIVE - DishPlayer DVR 522 Review!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If you want UHF, you can get a universal remote from Radio Shack that does UHF to IR.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...e=CTLG_007_010_000_000&product_id=15-2117

Regarding the cost of the modulator. It's come down in price due to a very recent chipset development:
http://www.cable-electronics.com/technology.html
MTS stereo surround sound audio encoder IC: This stereo encoder chip dramatically reduced cost and size to allow the integration into consumer electronics products for the first time, thus making RF transmission of MTS stereo and surround sound audio signals from consumer electronics products to stereo television receivers economically possible. CE Labs partnered with Motorola Semiconductor to build the chip with our embedded patented, intellectual properties. The stereo chip is currently used in Radio Shack’s new stereo RF modulator and is being integrated into set-top box products such as Dish Network and DirecTV satellite receivers.

Chase Playback feature

Does anybody know if this unit includes the chase playback feature?

[Regarding the cost of the modulator. It's come down in price due to a very recent chipset development]

Cool, now if ChannelPlus will only start using them and lower the price of their modulators...[/code][/quote]

E* still hasn't fixed the 'available space bug' in the DVR events menu.

A 1 hour and 4 minute recorded show displays '98 hrs 6 min Avail' on my 522.

Although this is better than the 3 hours that Scott reported in his review of the 522, it still isn't accurate.

AppliedAggression said:
. I think it's important to have this conflict, or else with kids especially they'll probably fill up both tuners and when the parents want to watch programming, their tuner is being used up recording some reality tv show. .

Whats wrong with reality TV :p

When I first heard about the 522, I was jealous since it sounded like a less expensive 721 (which I have had since day one)
Seems like Dish doesn't really have an interest in anything but getting products out there and work out the features later if ever. I agree this thing may never get the single mode, just like I doubt the 721 will ever get the internet feature (as someone mentioned)

I also agree with the master/slave idea. There should be a way to lock programs or ratings like you can now on just the 2nd tuner. Doing it on both means every time you want to check out HBO or some other movie channel you have to punch in your code, which gets a little annoying. Dish should realize that for a good portion of the people using this will be for kids, bedroom, playroom etc. They should be thinking of these issues..

Stargazer said:
I remember some posts at dbstalk where some were trying to figure out how to extend the range of the UHF remotes that could go 100 feet. Maybe if they could figure out the different frequency being used in the 200 foot range figure out how to extend the range of the 100 feet UHF upgrade kits or something. One tuner should not fall short of the other on commanding it with the remote. And for those that say that 200 feet is not needed, it is when several walls and a basement is involved.

Bigger antenna on the back of the reciever?

Stargazer said:
What doesn't make sense to me is how they can put that kind of money into the stereo modulators yet not put a little bit of money into making the first tuner DishPro UHF operatable as well.

That's Dish for ya. :rolleyes: I was thinking, if you really wanted to use tuner 1 from another room, I suppose you could use an RF extender. Kinda clumsy, but it should work.

To extend the RF range of the remote just get a cheap amp and remove the antenna from the back of the reciver, run coax from the reciever to the amp and put the antenna on the amp. I just use a 10db radioshack amplifier for mine (it is just a cable tv amp)

You can also extend the remote range by taking a piece of cable and stripping about 6" off of the end exposing the copper center wire. Connect the F connector end to the remote input and then extend the bare end up above and away from the equipment. Electronics emit some RF which can interfere with the remote.

Some people have reported running the coax to a central location in the attic and having the antenna there on an amplifier. Of course then people a mile away could probably change your channels :p

new 522 owner, and very happy so far

I just had the 522 installed yesterday, and I'm very excited with it's performance so far. I'm a convert from Digital Cable, so I'm not familiar with other DISH receivers, but here are my initial impressions....
1. It's much cheaper than cable. I was paying $70+/month for digital cable with two tuners. With the Amer. Choice 120 package, I'm paying $44 after taxes.
2. This is my first experience with a PVR and I love it. And, having two tuners built-in allows me to set up two independent recording sessions. I'm sure this is old hat to you experienced PVR owners, but it's a godsend to newbies.
3. The picture quality of DISH is definitely superior to digital cable. I'm not sure how much of that quality is due to the S-video or the signal itself...but I don't care--it's simply better.
4. The guide is much more robust. Searching is easy, and it remembers your search strings for easy "re-searches" in the future.
5. I spliced the TV2 output to run to my bedroom and a second input on my living room TV to allow for true PIP on my main TV.
6. I like the fact that all recorded shows are accessible from either tuner. So, when I record on TV1 in my living room, I can watch it on TV2 in the bedroom.

My only complaint so far is that if I'm watching TV1 in my living room and I want to set a timer for TV2, I need to get the TV2 remote from the bedroom and set the timer. Is it possible to use the TV1 remote to schedule timers on TV2?

I'm sure I'll find some other annoyances as I use it more, but I'm thrilled with it so far.

Another question...there is a USB port on the back of the receiver. Can it be used for anything? I'd love to access the hard drive with it to download content to my PC and burn to DVD.

You are suppossed to be able to use the 522 in a single mode, kind of like the 721 when the next software update comes in the summer. Then you will be able to switch back and forth from the dual mode and the single mode. Then it will be like the 721 and be able to set timers with the uhf remote on either tuner. But with Dish's long history of software updates to fix bugs and make the receiver work like it is advertised to do, don't hold your breath.

Some questions and agile modulator - what does this mean?

In the review it says

"The agile modulator transmitted what sounded like very good stereo sound. While I was happy with the sound I was not happy that the agile modulator was not as agile as I thought it would be. In TV out mode you could only output on channels 21 - 69 and in cable output mode you could only output on channel 73 through 125. I guess it was set up this way to prevent someone from backfeeding into their local CableTV system and knocking out a popular channel."

What does this mean? Does it mean if I am operating the 522 with one output connected to the TV1 (living room) and the other output connected to TV2 (bedroom) then TV1 will be able to view all satellite chanels but in the bedroom I'll only be able to view chanels 21-60 (48 chanels)? I was planning to conect the bedroom using the RF connector.

Another question. Assuming my setup is as described above and I'm sitting in the living room watching ER on TV1 and I decide I want to record the simpsons and still watch ER on TV1 can I use the IR remote control to tell the 522 to record the Simpsons on receiver 2 but still watch ER on tuner 1?

I assume then who ever is in the bedroom (TV2) will then have no choice to but to watch the simpsons. However would they be able to watch something other than the SImpsons that was recorded previously on the DVR?

This 522 seems pretty confusing. However I think I'll go with it becuase I can get more functionality with similar chanels for cheaper than I do with cable.

Thanks for a great review

Steve Mackay said:
What does this mean? Does it mean if I am operating the 522 with one output connected to the TV1 (living room) and the other output connected to TV2 (bedroom) then TV1 will be able to view all satellite channels but in the bedroom I'll only be able to view channels 21-60 (48 channels)? I was planning to connect the bedroom using the RF connector.
Basically what it means is that you can choose what channel your TV needs to be tuned to in order to watch the signal. Don't confuse these channels with actual programming channels. Think of it this way...most VCRs allow you to choose between channels 3 and channel 4. The 522 allows you to choose between many more channels. They do this so that for instance you were still getting cable TV, you can choose a channel that hopefully is unused in the 73-125 range. Most cable companies don't use all channels.

As to your other questions, I'll let someone else who has one answer for sure. I beleive currently it acts basically like two seperate DVRs that just share a common hard drive. Either can play a previously recorded event, but one side can't control the other side. Don't quote me on that though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts