Exclusive: First 811 HD Receiver Review

Scott,
1) From the dish retailer pictures this summer, I states access cards
for 811 & 921. The others 111,311,322 & 522, all new software were
cardless. Did they change their mind? With the 301 software I can't
figure how its capable of running its memory cardless.
2) Know all we need to do is time all the functions of the 811. The 301 takes 45 seconds to pull picture in guide info.
3) What can you find out about when the software upgrade will come for
the 811's Info Not Available. Very embarassing!
4) Whats happening with the CSR's still telling us the 6000 software upgrade for picture in guide is coming?
5) With a 2 day guide & old 301 software, how long do they plan to
sell the 811? I suppose the follow up to the 811 is what most of us
will be waiting for.

Hi,

I know that up here in Canada I will skip the next genereation altogehter since I really like my 6000 for the exception of the lack of OPEN TV and DVI. I will wait for the next generation receivers.

How about if we open a Canadian satellite channel for us Canucks?

Kryspy

Scott, I dont think you can conclude this is a no-go upgrade for 6000 owners without evaluating OTA. There is a hope that there is a newer generation OTA chipset that will enable some better reception capability. That alone could make it worth it. Especially since our $149 6000's will likely still be able to be sold for a profit in the next few weeks.

Unless you know the OTA is the SAME as the 6000 8VSB....

Also there are very annoying behaviors with the 6000 and OTA that hopefully the 811 resolves...

- acq satellite error after long OTA view (will 2 day guide on 6000 solve?)
- slow digital channel acquisition
- no PSIP
- trouble acq. some digital channels esp w/multicast
- minimal labelling capability
- bugs in OTA channel config, dropped/corrupted list
...etc.....

I'm sure this was discussed elsewhere but: is it definite that there's no IEEE1394 (firewire) output on the 811?

Thanks for excellent reporting, Scott.

A lurker for now ...

Yes, Wilt mentioned on the Voom Yahoo group that the first generation receiver will not have firewire, and will not be upgradable to it.

He wasn't sure if they would have a deal to trade up or what, once firewire was available.

Favorites List

Scott, did you happen to notice how the favorites list setup looks?

I know it is supposed to have 120 channels with 4 lists. But I can't help but think that is sounds like my nearly 7 year old 4000 that has 4 lists of 30 max channels each. That limitation has always bugged me.

Seams like I've seen a dish receiver somewhere (maybe it was just pictures of the guide) that let you just CHECK MARK however many channels you wanted for each list without any limit. Maybe a 2700?

With the 811 can the 120 channels be split up however you want among the 4 lists?

120 total channels (to me) just seams like an unnecessary limitation.

What type of DVI does the 811 use?

DVI-I = both analog and Digital
DVI-A = Analog
DVI-D = Digital

If its DVI-I, then we should be able to get DVI to RGB (or component) adapter for those of us who want to connect via RGB.

uhm? I can do this right?

811 outputs

I'm new to HDTV. I have a Samsung 42" plasma display (SPL4225D). It is capable of displaying 480p, 780p, and 1080i. I am told by Samung that it is not HDTV compatible. However, it seems that these resolutions are. Can you tell me what DISH and/or the 811 outputs for HDTV?

Cyclone,

What type of DVI does the 811 use?

DVI-I = both analog and Digital
DVI-A = Analog
DVI-D = Digital
Scott G previously confirmed that the DVI on the 811 is DVI-D, whereas 921 has DVI-I. There will be no RGB support on the 811.

Guest,
I'm new to HDTV. I have a Samsung 42" plasma display (SPL4225D). It is capable of displaying 480p, 780p, and 1080i. I am told by Samung that it is not HDTV compatible. However, it seems that these resolutions are. Can you tell me what DISH and/or the 811 outputs for HDTV?
Your Samsung has resolution of 852x480p, which makes it a EDTV display. If you output from the 811 at 1920x1080i or 1280x720p, the Samsung would scale (downconvert) it to 852x480p. Although you won't be seeing a true HD resolution on your plasma, it still still be a very impressive picture on HD channels.

Thanks

Thanks Ken_F for the good information. I'm finally getting a handle on this HDTV stuff. The two numbers represent the number of lines in the picture and the other is the number of pixels in each line. So, consequently my plasma does not have enough lines of resolution nor the number of pixels in each line to truly support HDTV. You were a big help.

ANy ida on the Remote? Is it a IR or UHF remote? I like the idea of adding HD with the 811, but do not want to give up my UHF remote on my 4900. What type of remote does the 6000 have?

811 receiver and firewire output

maybe ive missed it in the recent forums. but i read not long ago that the new receiver would have a firewire output. this forum does not indicate one way or the other. i didnt think DVI was the same thing. :|

I have a Dish 508 DVR hooked up to my HDTV ready Toshiba 57" tv. If i get an 811 or a 6000, is there any way to hook up these 2 units so i could use them both on the same tv? I would like to be able to watch HDTV programming but i also don't want to lose my DVR capabilities (pause, record, etc).

I know the best solution is to wait for the 921 (so i can watch AND record in HD) but i was thinking of a less expensive alternative.

Ransack said:
I have a Dish 508 DVR hooked up to my HDTV ready Toshiba 57" tv. If i get an 811 or a 6000, is there any way to hook up these 2 units so i could use them both on the same tv? I would like to be able to watch HDTV programming but i also don't want to lose my DVR capabilities (pause, record, etc).

I know the best solution is to wait for the 921 (so i can watch AND record in HD) but i was thinking of a less expensive alternative.

Yes you probably can. I just asked the same question.
Look here
http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2961

Does anyone know if the guide on the 811 will show the programming for OTA HD channels?

Chris

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)