Existing Customer, HD Upgrade

rick9999

Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
MD
Hi,

I have been a Dish Network customer for 10+ years I think. Back when I purchased my system they didn't do any of this lease stuff, I purchased it outright. Since then I have purchased a couple of receivers and now have a, 501, 2 508's, and a 625 active on my system. Today I called about swapping out the 501 for an HD DVR. The best she said she could do is send me a HD DVR with no up front costs but the total monthly fees would be $22.98 to get HD. I have read somewhere that they were offering specials to existing customers, is that still happening? I am in no commitment with them, own all my equipment, I pay them $93 per month and can walk away at any time, is that really the best they can do or is a better deal?

A free receiver while only paying for added HD service? That is a pretty good deal as most have to pay an upgrade fee for the receiver usually around $100 for a dvr (which would run you around $400 if you purchase). You can replace a second single tuner receiver as well and remove $5 per month on your bill as well and sell two purchased receivers. Only extra you may have gotten is 3 months of HBO and Showtime.

Might be better to replace the 625, rather than a non-dvr fee receiver.

I just upgraded from vip222. I still had 12 months left on my contract. I did a chat online and they told me to call in and ask for the loyalty dept.. When I called they offered me a free upgrade to a Vip622. . All I had to do is sign up for a 24 month commitment. The only added charge was the $5.98 DVR fee. No lease fee. If you do not want to do a commitment then you wold have to pay for the receiver.

They've also been giving some existing subs $10 off per month for a year.

ASk for this along with Cinemax for 1 cent and if you want you can ask for free hbo and showtime. I have had all this put on my account and I am saving 10.00 a month along with the free premium movie channels. I have been a DISH sub for going on 12 1/2 years now.

Cancell your account and create a new account in the name of another person in your house ie; your husband ,wife.alter the address ie; 100 main street (A) or #2.You have to sign a 2 yr. commitment(same as if you upgrade),but all your equipment will be brand new from the dish to every receiver and you will be able to get the lastest promo deal they have for NEW customers.

I chatted with them online today and was given pretty much the same deal except they did offet the $10 credits for 12 months. Only problem was I was told that someone would need to come install a new dish. Let me explain, maybe someone can tell me if I am wrong.

Back when my house was built I put in the dishes, etc. never had an installer come out, basically I didn't want to wait. So I installed my Dish 500 that went to a 34 switch that fed 3 receivers. Over the years I have accumulated extra equipment so I installed a Dish 300 pointing at 61.5, ran that to the 34 switch. I have also added a 34 switch so I have 8 outputs, when I ran the RG6 through the house I put in more than I thought I would ever need so I have multiple cables going to each jack. Its all Dish Pro so the 625 has 2 cables from the switch. My original thought was to just pick up an HD receiver off ebay and connect it and I would be ready to go.

However after just talking with Dish about leasing a receiver I was told I would need a 1000.2 Dish to be installed. Typically I wouldn't really care but the location that I installed the dish is in the ground on the side of the house and I am pretty sure that either the 1000.2 Dish will hit the side of the house mounted on the pole I have in the ground (in concrete) or if it does fit there are trees that I think will block the 129 location. I need to check when I get home. The only other option to see 129 would probably be to mount it on the roof.

I thought that all HD channels were mirrored on 61.5? If they are and I just went ahead and purchased a receiver would they allow me to activate it without having the 1000.2 dish installed? They seemed pretty demanding that someone must come install the first HD receiver. If I need to go that route I want to know in advance where the Dish can go on the house because I don't want some installer coming out and just putting it anywhere.

Hopefully all that makes sense.

All new hd installs are going to be either a western arc dish 1000.2 or a eastern arc dish 1000.4 . They are made with built in switches that can let you use one coax to your house and from there a dishpro separator to split the one coax into two for dual tuner receivers. You can even plug a side sat into the in port of the 1000.2 sat dish to have 61.5 sat as well. Ask him to include the side sat dish too. Just go with it and relax. I am sure you can get the installer to work with you on where you want it ,as long as there isn't line of sight issues.

Thanks. I will have to look tonight when I get home but I think between the house and the trees one or the other is going to get in the way of 129. When I originally installed the Dish 500 I ended up needing to move it after the leaves came in the Spring, so its pointing right at the edge of trees behind my house.

If I can't see 129 from the current dish location, and since I already have 61.5, would I be able to just pick up a receiver on ebay, activate it on my account, and get all the same HD that would is on 129? My locals are on 61.5.

I chatted with them online today and was given pretty much the same deal except they did offet the $10 credits for 12 months. Only problem was I was told that someone would need to come install a new dish. Let me explain, maybe someone can tell me if I am wrong.

Back when my house was built I put in the dishes, etc. never had an installer come out, basically I didn't want to wait. So I installed my Dish 500 that went to a 34 switch that fed 3 receivers. Over the years I have accumulated extra equipment so I installed a Dish 300 pointing at 61.5, ran that to the 34 switch. I have also added a 34 switch so I have 8 outputs, when I ran the RG6 through the house I put in more than I thought I would ever need so I have multiple cables going to each jack. Its all Dish Pro so the 625 has 2 cables from the switch. My original thought was to just pick up an HD receiver off ebay and connect it and I would be ready to go.

However after just talking with Dish about leasing a receiver I was told I would need a 1000.2 Dish to be installed. Typically I wouldn't really care but the location that I installed the dish is in the ground on the side of the house and I am pretty sure that either the 1000.2 Dish will hit the side of the house mounted on the pole I have in the ground (in concrete) or if it does fit there are trees that I think will block the 129 location. I need to check when I get home. The only other option to see 129 would probably be to mount it on the roof.

I thought that all HD channels were mirrored on 61.5? If they are and I just went ahead and purchased a receiver would they allow me to activate it without having the 1000.2 dish installed? They seemed pretty demanding that someone must come install the first HD receiver. If I need to go that route I want to know in advance where the Dish can go on the house because I don't want some installer coming out and just putting it anywhere.

Hopefully all that makes sense.
If you are in Maryland, then you need to receive 61.5. All of our HD locals are on there. Since you have non-Vip receivers in the mix, you need to stay with 110/119. If you can get an upgrade with just a lease fee and no commitment, then jump on it.

Thanks. I will have to look tonight when I get home but I think between the house and the trees one or the other is going to get in the way of 129. When I originally installed the Dish 500 I ended up needing to move it after the leaves came in the Spring, so its pointing right at the edge of trees behind my house.

If I can't see 129 from the current dish location, and since I already have 61.5, would I be able to just pick up a receiver on ebay, activate it on my account, and get all the same HD that would is on 129? My locals are on 61.5.
Most of this was answered in my previous post. You do not need 129 since you are already getting 61.5. All of the Baltimore and DC HD locals are on 61.5. You can get a new 622 or 722 from ebay and activate it with no problem or better yet, call Claude at DishStore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)