Existing HD Customers Get The Shaft

SKrueger

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
With Dish's announcement of the additional VOOM channels, HD Locals, and several other HD channels launching Feb 1 in MPEG4 only, I called Dish about upgrading my equipment (942). Here's what I was told.

"There are no plans yet for upgrading current customers." :mad: I was told to call back sometime in February after the launch for updated information of how existing customers would be handled. When I asked if there was anyway to have equipment in place so I could start receiving these channels at launch, I got the short and simple answer - "NOPE!"

I guess Dish continues it's habit of disregarding current customers.

The announcement is expected on the Charlie Chat. CSRs are not going to know until the information is released on the next Charlie chat. See Scott's post on CES forum.

I hope that this question fits in with this topic, being this is my first post. Here is my situation. I just received a promotional call from Dish offering a HD "Tivo", 6 months free HD package, also HBO, Showtime and I think Cinema:mad:for 3 months) all for 46.98 a month. I am a current Direct subscriber, but here is my question... Does Dish really have an HD "Tivo" receiver available? Could this be the mpeg4 receiver mentioned here? The "salesman" definitely mentioned "Tivo" several times, or is he just another csr that doesn't know the facts??

20fan welcome to the board. Probably another CSR who uses the word "TIVO" very loosely to signify a DVR. The new MPEG4 DVR is the 622 and no word yet how or when it will available as an upgrade to existing subscribers. Hold tight until we hear more news after the next Charlie Chat.

20fan said:
Does Dish really have an HD "Tivo" receiver available? The "salesman" definitely mentioned "Tivo" several times, or is he just another csr that doesn't know the facts??

Ouch! They could get in big trouble since the Dish DVRs are not TiVo boxes. Sure that have similar recording capabilities similar but TiVo refers to a specific copyrighted software product.

Sheesh! CSRs who promote the 942 as being software upgradable to MPeg4. CSRs who sell DVRs as "TiVo". Dish really needs to fix this before class action suits start to pile up for false advertising.

voripteth said:
Ouch! They could get in big trouble since the Dish DVRs are not TiVo boxes. Sure that have similar recording capabilities similar but TiVo refers to a specific copyrighted software product.
Sheesh! CSRs who promote the 942 as being software upgradable to MPeg4. CSRs who sell DVRs as "TiVo". Dish really needs to fix this before class action suits start to pile up for false advertising.
That is what makes it tough making a decision when thinking about upgrading my service. Been with Direct for 7+ years, HD for 2 years (1 HD receiver in sports room/cinema basement, and standard receiver in bedroom). Been thinking long and hard about upgrading standard receiver to HR10-250 HD Tivo and putting it in the basement and move reg. HD reciever into bedroom. :confused: Reading about all the issues with it has made me hesitate, and will look forward to the result of next Charlie Chat. Maybe jump ship to Dish???
Thanks for the welcome to the forum !!

Whatever happened to going to 21 VoOm stations? Oh, we are going to do 15 VoOm stations instead they said to get you full rez on them. Now we are looking at 15 HD-Lite stations. It seems as if Dish likes to change their mind every month. Only believe it when you see it unless they make a press release or Facts Blasts announcement then hope they dont change it by the time its to come out.

The CSR's always know nothing.

Charlie WILL be announcing the upgrade plans on Monday Night.

I know what the upgrade offer will be and feel it is fair.

As far as the HD Lite stuff goes yesterday we (HokieEngineer, Scooters and myself) met with Marc Lumpkin about this and he explained it all to us. And honestly what he said made sense for the most part.

Most of the VOOM channels have always been in HD lite since they have been on Dish. Most of the customers with HDTV's do not have equipment which display the full resolution of 1920 x 1080i. And one of the biggest requests Dish is getting is for more HD. We were asked if we would rather have the full HD picture, or if we would rather have ESPN2HD and Universal HD, I believe we all said the extra channels.

Now for a little speculation and rumor I heard on the show floor, Dish is looking into transmitting in 1080p I believe when this happens we will again see full resolution HD.

I know some of us are really high tech and want the best picture possible, at the moment Dish is looking to build its DishHD brand by adding more channels. And while the purists have good points Dish as a company is looking to serve the adverage consumer who really dont care whats MPEG2 or MPEG4, they just want more channels.

Another rumor floating around is that when these new HD channels launch on february 1st there MAY be a couple more HD channels which have not been announced yet.

The sad part of this isnt the resolution but the fact when the new channels launch hardly anyone will be able to watch them.

"The sad part of this isnt the resolution but the fact when the new channels launch hardly anyone will be able to watch them."

And that's why everyone has been bitching and complaining because it just doesn't make any sense. This is where I think Dish dropped the ball.

Now as far as their future plans for HD you're right and Dish is right, the average consumer just want more HD channels and don't really care if the channels are in full resolution. Heck when I first got the Voom package I thought it looked awesome in my set until I found out here that I wasn't getting the full resolution.

Thank you for all the info Scott.

Ah, so now it is 1080p that is to keep us on the edge of our seats. Spin, Spin, Spin! The thing that I've learned is, true HD is not a priority. We should not look for it. All we should look for is the next PROMISE, which will soon be broken.

Quality is not driving this market. The SD customer's dollar is! Lesson learned.

Spike said:
Ah, so now it is 1080p that is to keep us on the edge of our seats. Spin, Spin, Spin! The thing that I've learned is, true HD is not a priority. We should not look for it. All we should look for is the next PROMISE, which will soon be broken.
Quality is not driving this market. The SD customer's dollar is! Lesson learned.
If they say 1080p then it means only one thing. One of the voom transmitions or a fish tank demo channel. They just want us to stay. Just remember that there is no plans for any of the national channels to go to 1080p for a long time.
There is no way in hell dish is goign to fool me again.
Dish doesn't want to admit it, but the cable companies have a HUGE advantage over sattelite now.
I can't wait for ala cart. I have around 200 channels and I would say I watch 8 at most. 3 are OTA.
I for one would wish that some big tech magazine or something would do a story on the changing times of how cable is now getting better than sattelite.
Just think of all the tv makers. There is no reason to spend big bucks upgrading a set beyond 720p now. Oh wait. HD DVD Comming out soon. I guess local OTA and HD DVD are going to be the mainstream.

Last edited:
Scott Greczkowski said:
...Most of the VOOM channels have always been in HD lite since they have been on Dish. Most of the customers with HDTV's do not have equipment which display the full resolution of 1920 x 1080i. And one of the biggest requests Dish is getting is for more HD. We were asked if we would rather have the full HD picture, or if we would rather have ESPN2HD and Universal HD, I believe we all said the extra channels.
Scott
Is this you talking or is this a summary of what Marc Lumpkin told you?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Now for a little speculation and rumor I heard on the show floor, Dish is looking into transmitting in 1080p I believe when this happens we will again see full resolution HD...
Same question? Is this your speculation or Lumpkin's?

Hammer

RandallA said:
"The sad part of this isnt the resolution but the fact when the new channels launch hardly anyone will be able to watch them."
And that's why everyone has been bitching and complaining because it just doesn't make any sense. This is where I think Dish dropped the ball.

I see this a little differently. How many average Joe's will go out and purchase a new receiver to receive channels that are not on the air. If the channels are on the air then Dish can say "Lease, buy or upgrade to this receiver/package and you can get all these GREAT new channels!" :)

RandallA said:
Heck when I first got the Voom package I thought it looked awesome in my set until I found out here that I wasn't getting the full resolution.
Thank you for all the info Scott.

OK I've got to ask...

You felt Voom looked awesome but when you found out the resolution was not full it suddenly looked bad? Not trying to start anything just trying to understand what you're trying to say.

CWS_kahuna said:
OK I've got to ask...
You felt Voom looked awesome but when you found out the resolution was not full it suddenly looked bad? Not trying to start anything just trying to understand what you're trying to say.

No problem, I'll try to explain what I tried to say.

No, I never said they looked bad. I said that I found out here that I wasn't getting the best resolution that I could get so I began to pay more attention to the resolution. I'm new to HD so to me they looked great, my eyes were used to watching only SD. Notice also that I said "in my set", I have a 32' TV set. We all know that the bigger the display the more noticeable the quality of the signal.

Hope that makes sense.

I'm a newbie so please forgive me if this has been addressed already. What do you think will happen for existing customers who have not subscribed to HD? That is, how will these customers be upgraded? What has happened in the past? Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)