Explain a must carry

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The Full Power .1's are carried on Satellite. Ex 50 KLWB MeTV is carried on Directv
that has already been established previously. i dont know why you need to repeat yourself

The Subchannel .2-whatever are carried on cable. Cox carries both KPLC's subchannels and WBXH subchannels which are bounce, grit, and excape in its areas.
The Subchannel KLFY 10.2 GetTv is carried on Laf. Utility System and Charter.
not all subchannels are carried on cable

cable will carry them but the owner of the station that has it on their subchannel has to reach an agreement. that is why you will see some subchannels not on cable for a while. again low powered stations are kinda in the dark with both providers.

I'm not being hostile I am just backing up my facts (if they're right). I accidently had my keyboard on caps when I typed truth.
i was referring to the fact you said that "Satellites do carry subchannels only if they are a full power and on the. 1"
my point was that the reason directv carries it is because again its a .1, full power, and they reached an agreement

Reactions: Mr Tony
The Subchannel .2-whatever are carried on cable. .
not necessarily

down the road from glendive in ekalaka they get their abc from rapid city, sd. until recently the abc there (kota) had metv and thistv as subchannels. Mid rivers cable carried the metv but not thistv
in the mid river markets that havent been upgraded to full digital they do not carry any of the pbs subchannels (kids, create, world) but here in Glendive they do carry them.

but the previous sentence i clearly stated
a must carry means if it asks for carriage on a cable or satellite company the provider has to carry it as along as they reach an agreement on compensation
This, taken by itself, is also false. The existence of a carriage agreement disqualifies a station from must-carry status. If it didn't, the carrier would have no recourse but to carry the channel; regardless of how much the station demanded.

WDSI Chattanooga Tennessee is THIS on .1, which is carried on Comcast. Comet, when it launched months ago on .2, is not carried.
Chances are that whatever terms that they carry WDSI on doesn't cover subchannels.

Here is where the "primary video" interpretation of must carry likely comes into play. As far as I can tell, must carry is currently interpreted to cover only the .1 channel and ThisTV would be that channel.

If WDSI does have a carriage agreement, it is likely that they didn't write future subchannels into that contract.
WDEF Chattanooga added .3 Escape and it is carried and it launched a month and a half ago. So I was wondering why Comet is not carried.
I suspect that Escape is carried as part of a formal carriage agreement with WDEF.

Wait, why is this discussion on the over the air antenna forum in the first place
This discussion needs to be on the cable and satellite forums
No argument here. It wasn't entirely clear what direction the discussion was going until the TS (topic starter) coughed up the details that should have been in the OP (original post) in post #9.

because it concerns OTA channels?
There's a forum for cable and satellite issues and because this is about how carriers are required to treat OTA carriage, I believe it belongs here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/forums/general-cabletv-satellite-forum.6/

Given what we know now, it could have gone here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/forums/cable-and-fiber-optic-television-discussions.51/

The Comcast forum would have also been a candidate but must-carry extends well beyond Comcast and even cable TV.

Reactions: Tampa8
Satellites do carry subchannels only if they are a full power and on the. 1
Direct TV carries the MeTV Acadiana KLWB 50.1

By the way no offense guys there is a cable and satellite forum for this discussion to be on.

This whole statement makes no sense! Of course they carry a full power -1. I have Cozi TV on Directv because it's a full power -1 channel as has been explained on here 1000 times. It's the primary subchannel on their multiplex. Just like your MeTV and plenty of other channels across the country. Cable adds subchannels based on agreements with the provider, not if they're a -2 or -3...

A channel isn't a subchannel because of the affiliation. One of my CW is a subchannel. One of the my primary channels is Cozi.

A channel being CW and then switching affiliations isn't why your This is on satellite. It is due only to it being full power.

Reactions: Mr Tony and Tank
Yes, knowing the info from post #9, this could have been put in another forum.
I think it is fine to stay here though.

Yes, knowing the info from post #9, this could have been put in another forum.
I think it is fine to stay here though.

Yeah good call. Perhaps someone in the Comcast forum would have more information on a local level.

But most of this was a good discussion for the bridge between OTA and pay tv, differences/similarities, etc. I like Directv as a pay tv provider because I can easily integrate OTA into it. There is a gray area between most topics and the resulting discussion went there. Until the whole CW/this mess.

This is the bridge.
It is a bridge too far as must carry is an issue that doesn't apply to private OTA viewing.
Cable and satellite locals come from somewhere and that'd be OTA.
A few station feeds are being delivered to carriers via data links rather than RF relays. My local Comcast uses data links to one or two stations so they can do commercial insertion and localized news insertion.

It is a bridge too far as must carry is an issue that doesn't apply to private OTA viewing.A few station feeds are being delivered to carriers via data links rather than RF relays. My local Comcast uses data links to one or two stations so they can do commercial insertion and localized news insertion.

You know what I mean.... OTA locals appear on pay TV. Determining which is a gray area, and this went there. That's all I was saying. I know about the actual signals... They originate at stations who send an OTA signal and then one to providers, I know that.

You know what I mean.... OTA locals appear on pay TV. Determining which is a gray area, and this went there. That's all I was saying. I know about the actual signals... They originate at stations who send an OTA signal and then one to providers, I know that.
but he likes to argue on technicalities...you should know that by now

Why would someone getting their channels OTA - the forum we are in, care about must carry? (I'll answer that :) ) They would care if they were curious, using cable or want to use cable/satellite to watch those channels, in that case the Cable forums. This Forum says, "Discussion in 'Digital Over the Air Television" Not discussion in Cable carrying those channels Television. In the end the world will continue to turn.

The problem with the explanations is some statements are made that are not true, partly because you have to read other parts of the post for it to be true and is confusing, and partly because the explanation being searched for may need the knowledge of what Cable system/DMA is being talked about (And why it should be in the Cable forum) because there are some unusual other reasons a channel may not be carried even though they are 1 full power. WWSB ABC serves the Tampa/St Petersburg area, but is not must carry as one example.

Maybe Andy wanted to post here knowing he would get more responses than in the cable area

I dont get what the whole hub bub is about where it was posted. It had good responses.

WWSB ABC serves the Tampa/St Petersburg area, but is not must carry as one example.
When you have multiple affiliates of the same network in the same DMA you will have exceptions

Minneapolis has 5 PBS stations in the DMA (2 in Mpls, Bemidji, Appleton and Wisco PBS) yet depending on where in the state you are you may get only 1 PBS or you may get multiple ones.

I dont get what the whole hub bub is about where it was posted. It had good responses.
Its not like this is the Dish area where people get their panties in a wad because "oh why did you post something about a Hawper in the regular forum?"

Last I checked it was usually laid back here

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts