ExpressVu Help in SoCal

nospower

Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
I currently have a Bell ExpressVu 4100 receiver and use a Dish 500 with quad lnb's. I am only interested in receiving 91W as it is not an HD receiver. I hooked everything up and was able to get about 88-98% signal on most of the transponders. However (and this is my issue) Transponder 4, 8, 10, 12, 24 show 0 signal. I'm originally from Vancouver and I got my brother to signup a BEV so I could watch the Local Version of Canucks games as I was sick and tired of the crap broadcasters the majority of US teams have on my NHL Center Ice with Time Warner Cable. Rogers Sportsnet Pacific and CBC-Vancouver are on transponder 10 and 24, when I tune to them I get an error message. Bell said that they think it's a problem with my receiver and they are sending a new one to my brother's house. This is the first time I have ever had a satellite system and I don't really know if I can trust the Quebecois customer support with BEV. Is it even possible that these missing transponders is a problem with the receiver? Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

If you do a search, you will see there are a number of posts regarding this issue. Simply, there are two satellites at 91 degrees, one of which has a beam that does not reach the southern US. The result is there are a number channels that cannot be received in Los Angeles and other southern reaches.

A 39" dish perhap? don't give up so easily.

Are u willing to upgrade to a bigger dish. How about removing the LNB plastic case too to avoid heat damage. Have u also taken magnetic declination into consideration and true azimuth values? I have Xpressvu right now in central Sacramento and the signal is quite strong thanks to my 2.4 meter channel master dish.

It's extremely annoying but I get perfect signal (88-100 today. less smog today than normal) on all transponders accept the ones that I actually bought the system for. Hopefully everyone's advice on this forum was accurate as I just purchased a StarChoice dish and receiver. I'll post a reply on how I was able to set it up in Los Angeles.

Speaking from years of Evu transponder woes in SW Florida, you got the best advice in going with Starchoice to get the channels you want to see.

I put up with it here in SW Florida for the last few years, because I have always been able to get all my Leaf games. However this year, I can't get Sportsnet Ontario, so there is 20 games out the door. But I still get TSN, CBC and LeafsTV, in HD when available, so I'll live with it for now.

As for Sacramento and a bigger dish, there are a lot of miles between there and LA. I, and others on this board, have figured out that I'm 90 miles from being able to get all the transponders, no matter what dish size I use.

Good luck Canuckhead!

It's extremely annoying but I get perfect signal (88-100 today. less smog today than normal) on all transponders accept the ones that I actually bought the system for. Hopefully everyone's advice on this forum was accurate as I just purchased a StarChoice dish and receiver. I'll post a reply on how I was able to set it up in Los Angeles.

I'm in Denver Colorado and I had to recently upgrade to a 30" dish to get a 60 or better in signal strength on 82. I think the sats at 82 are getting weaker or the beams are being moved more and more north... If I didn't have so much cash invested in the equipment I have with Bell, I would switch to Starchoice.

82 is in the same boat. ExpressVu has 2 satellites at 91 & 2 at 82. Nimiq 1 (at 91) and Nimiq2 (at 82) are fine and cover the US. Nimiq3 & 4 are old DirecTV satellites (or as I dubbed them "crapelites") and when they were shifted north to cover Canada the areas on the west coast, Texas, AZ, FL there is no footprint so a bigger dish wont work.

SC would be the only option

82 is in the same boat. ExpressVu has 2 satellites at 91 & 2 at 82. Nimiq 1 (at 91) and Nimiq2 (at 82) are fine and cover the US. Nimiq3 & 4 are old DirecTV satellites (or as I dubbed them "crapelites") and when they were shifted north to cover Canada the areas on the west coast, Texas, AZ, FL there is no footprint so a bigger dish wont work.

SC would be the only option

I've always found that odd that they have issues in Texas but 91 and 82 are fully receivable in Louisiana.

I wonder if there is any connection with French quarters in Louisiana and French Canada? Beams are adjustable as you know. :)

Thanks alot for all your help. I will have my StarChoice on Tuesday this week and once I get it set up in LA, I will post how it works. By the way, Bell ExpressVu's 1 year contract was easy to get out of. I just told them that I am "moving" to a Townhouse that had strata council and they didn't allow satellites. They waived the $200 penalty for early cancellation. GO CANUCKS!!

I wonder if there is any connection with French quarters in Louisiana and French Canada? Beams are adjustable as you know. :)

or it could be the original DirecTV beam that went diagonally from texas to Florida when shifted north LA was still in but TX was not :)

Won't these issues be resolved before too too long?

New sat goes up next year right? Don't you think they'll park it at 91 or 82 and take over that entire slot, and then put the 2 good far reaching sats together at the other sat? Is that logical?

When will it launch next year?

Won't these issues be resolved before too too long?

New sat goes up next year right? Don't you think they'll park it at 91 or 82 and take over that entire slot, and then put the 2 good far reaching sats together at the other sat? Is that logical?

When will it launch next year?

They'll fix it alright. With a nice tight beam pointed at just Canada.

They'll fix it alright. With a nice tight beam pointed at just Canada.

Don't think so.
They have to be blind not to see what *C is gaining south of the border with their great signal covering North America and home away from home program.

Don't think so.
They have to be blind not to see what *C is gaining south of the border with their great signal covering North America and home away from home program.

I know I've read more than a few times that the beam configuration for the next Nimiq bird will not have the US in mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)