Extended timer not working for PTAT events

jongerush

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
TX
I have set my The Amazing Race timer to end 60 minutes after. When it is saved to my portion of the DVR, it only saves an hour. I end up missing part of the show when something runs long before it. Any way to get around this vs also saving the program after it? Seems like that should work even with PTAT active.

I still use PTAT. But if there's a show that i watch on one of those channels at the 10pm time slot. I usually set timers for that same channel for 11pm and 11:30pm just in case there's a run over. In my case it's CBS for The Mentalist run overs. And it came in handy this past Sunday. As for the Amazing Race, if you do have PTAT set it should continue to play on past the designated hour (as long as you watch within the time period you have set to save your PTAT shows).

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I still use PTAT. But if there's a show that i watch on one of those channels at the 10pm time slot. I usually set timers for that same channel for 11pm and 11:30pm just in case there's a run over. In my case it's CBS for The Mentalist run overs. And it came in handy this past Sunday. As for the Amazing Race, if you do have PTAT set it should continue to play on past the designated hour (as long as you watch within the time period you have set to save your PTAT shows).

Do you usually just do an hour past the end of the show? The run over happened to us too, but I didn't have a timer set up for after. Had to hook up the laptop and stream from CBS to watch the Mentalist.

Do you usually just do an hour past the end of the show? The run over happened to us too, but I didn't have a timer set up for after. Had to hook up the laptop and stream from CBS to watch the Mentalist.

Actually, what I usually do if I'm at home and if I can remember. I'll click over to CBS at 7pm and see if 60 Minutes is coming on. If it is, then I'm good without recording any extra time. If its not on, then I'll monitor it every 15-20 minutes to see if 60 Minutes has ever started. Once I see that it has started I'll start a recording at the 11pm hour according to however much time I may need. But if I'm not at home during that time like this past Sunday, then I'll just set an hour timer and be done with it. All that seems really annoying, but to me it's better than missing the last 15 of a show I tried to record.

That's what I do. Local news follows PTAT on all of the local channels and I have a timer to record them daily.

I also learned to save the series for the shows following the ones I do watch. I was gone for a couple of weeks and a couple of shows were missing the last couple of minutes.

Actually, what I usually do if I'm at home and if I can remember. I'll click over to CBS at 7pm and see if 60 Minutes is coming on. If it is, then I'm good without recording any extra time. If its not on, then I'll monitor it every 15-20 minutes to see if 60 Minutes has ever started. Once I see that it has started I'll start a recording at the 11pm hour according to however much time I may need. But if I'm not at home during that time like this past Sunday, then I'll just set an hour timer and be done with it. All that seems really annoying, but to me it's better than missing the last 15 of a show I tried to record.

The way I handle the weekend PTAT programs that run over is by setting up two satellite and one OTA manual timers for ABC, NBC, and CBS. Don’t have a manual timer for FOX. Timer frequency is set for daily from 10 to 11pm CST. This way if any PTAT programs run over even during the week these timers will catch the overage. It rarely happens during the week but sometimes a big news event happens or the President decides to break in and disrupt the PTAT programs. This seems to work the best for me with the least bit of effort or concern over missing any portions of a PTAT program. This way you don’t have to be concerned if a PTAT program runs over and you aren’t at home or having to monitor a program to see if it is going to run over, etc. If any priority issues pop up I will just skip event the manual timers as required. This worked out good last Sunday when a daytime CBS sport program ran over into the PTAT programs.

Last edited:
Anyone recording The Mentalist tonight better set some timers for the programs coming on afterward (the local news on east coast). The Masters is scheduled until 7pm and it almost always runs over.

Well for some reason the shows I set to record on CBS after the mentalist, didn't record. I set a timer for 11pm and also for the program following the news. Neither show recorded. They show up in my schedule as timers but for starting and ending recordings times, it shows "NA". Any idea why? I even had them set to record on the OTA channel just to avoid some crazy situations involving PTAT.

image-4183282719.jpg

I ordered my Hopper install (coming from a 722k) and had some questions about PTAT and extended timers. Kind of backwards, I guess I should have done the research first, but then again the price increase deadline is looming.

The problem I'm trying to solve is how to record several prime time shows with extended timers (1 min before, 5 min past) so that I don't miss the last few bits of a show. According to this thread, it seems like people are suggesting to turn off PTAT. Won't that create the same problem I have now with only 4 tuners (two sat, two OTA with the 722k)? Also, doesn't AutoHop require PTAT? I guess I'm trying to understand what the benefits are with PTAT.

This was the main reason why I was looking at the Genie with 5 tuners. I can still cancel the install.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)