Extending tv2 remote range

bxl4

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
Bainbridge Island, WA
I am having TV2 remote strength issues. My wi-fi router is between the receiver and tv2 which may be the problem.

I have an old set of amplified rabbit ears from my failed attempts to get OTA HD. Would it be safe/effective to connect it to the remote antenna coax jack?

Are there better/easier ideas?

Thanks.

Bill:)

I wonder how a yagi antenna, outdoor antenna, or a satellite dish reflector put behind the provided antenna will increase range?

Well, I tried the rabbit ears and it did help but didn't solve the problem.

I'll probably go with the back to back splitters but the use of the attenuator will defeat the whole house distribution plan that I've set up so that kids can watch TV2 from time to time in their rooms rather than in the family room where the main TV2 viewing is done.

Thanks all.

AFAIK the attenuator is to reduce close-by OTA signals to normal levels and should never be in the remote control path. In fact, if you are as far from the towers as I am, you need to amplify to make the OTA signals reasonable. While I'm at it I mix antenna and two DVR outputs then amplify 4dB before splitting and sending the signal around the house. So far the remote has not been a problem. Were the remote to be one, I would use a separate coax to extend the reception to the remote place.
-Ken

Is your "TV2" in another room? I did the "move the antenna to the TV2 room" option on the link above and it worked great.

I had tried moving stuff all around and bringing the antenna to the same room was the only thing that worked.

Yes, TV2 is in another room and I'm sure that I could make it work by running yet another coax cable from the 722 to TV2. But I like the fact that i've got the tv2 signal feed back to all of the other coax outlets around the house and making the remote work for one tv at the expense of the rest of them, while possible isn't my first choice.

OK, one more idea. Since I have rabbit ears connected to the remote control antenna connector, could I plug in the signal amplifier too, with out harm?

I don't think it will help but give it a try. It depends on if it amplifies more signal than noise.

Could you answer two questions though, please?

Did you try the "B band" fix and it didn't work?

Did you try moving the antenna (without attenuator) to TV2 room?

The TV2 output of the dish receivers is strong - designed for long cable runs and multiple TVs like you have. The attenuator is included to be used for very short cable runs so that the power output of the receiver doesn't damage your TV.

Sorry, overlooked your question.

Yes I did try B band and that helped a lot. Just not enough. On the A band, the remote was useless. On B it was merely unreliable.

I guess that I'm confused about the "moving the antenna" part. I'm currently connecting a rabbit ear antenna to the remote antenna port on that back of the 722. I COULD connect in 60' of coax to that so that I could drag my rabbit ears are over by TV2. I would _work_ but just look like cr@p. I can confirm that when I bring my tv2 remote about 10 closer to the remote antenna, it works pretty reliably. that's why I keep thinking if I can just get a bit more signal, I'll be fine. FWIW. thanks for your help.

I had an extra coax behind my TV that ran up to the attic. I hooked up the cable and put the antenna in the attic. Problem solved for me when I had this issue.

Splitters are all that is needed to combine signals.

If the explanation on the site is not clear, please let me know so that it can be made more understandable - for you and for anyone else who reads it. k?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts