Exterior Wall Grommet/Sealent

Status
Please reply by conversation.

winesmile

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I'm sure this is a well worn topic, but I'm running RG6/Q from the basement crawlspace to the exterior of the house then up an in to a second floor bedroom.

Due to the construction of the home (lathe and plaster) I'm going to go this route rather then through the inside of the wall.

Questions are:

Should I use plastic wall grommets on both the inside and outside of the hole in the wall?

What should I seal the hole with once the cable is passed through? Silicone??

Thanks much for the advise!

The pass through grommets are to protect the cable when long runs are pulled. After that their only function is to hold sealant until dry.

IF you are going to end up with a multi product wall like brick with block & plaster / lathe on the inside I would consider using PVC pipe a little longer than the thickness of your walls that you can beat through the hole(s). Caulk the ends prior to paint.

Also, you can add a second downspout to hide exterior cable going from floor to floor. This stuff should have push through bushings because it will cut the cable. Drill the walls near the existing downspouts.

Joe

Good idea, I had my handyman put the pipe in place.

After running the cable just seal the exterior hole with silicone?

You mean like hardwall.......with foam underneath? With that stuff you can use the final coat as sealant.

Mortar / portland cement exterior parge plaster is different. It moves with temperature changes so you want a flexible caulk. The last thing you want is water behind exterior stucco like finishes.

In extreme settings where the wall contractor will void a warranty over any holes I have heard of digging under the foundation or drilling the wall below the exterior coating.

Joe

definately the way to go, plater sux to drill through, and is harderto fishlines because it crumbles.... silicone is your best bet because bugs wont eat it

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)