External Audio Connection question

mk3000

Jan 27, 2008
Hi,
Currently I have a home theater set up in the living room and an SD connection upstairs via the 722. The audio from the upstairs TV, even when fed to a receiver, is not nearly as good as when it is fed directly to the receiver from the 722.

Because upstairs I have only the coax from the dish 1000 which is fed to the TV, I am wondering if I can feed the coax upstairs directly into a receiver and then feed the TV from that.

Thanks.

You cannot feed the dish antenna signal either to a TV tuner or to an audio receiver, so your current setup does not make sense. Are there diplexers involved, e.g. coming from the 722's TV2 outputs?

Well, coming into the 722 downstairs there is a coax from the dish and that connects to a diplexer. The output from the diplexer feeds to the home distribution input and to a separator. The separator connects to the TV1 and TV2 inputs.

But upstairs I have a separate coax that feeds from the dish to the TV. If I disconnect that coax from the upstairs TV, there is no signal. Is the upstairs coax not feeding directly from the dish?

But upstairs I have a separate coax that feeds from the dish to the TV. If I disconnect that coax from the upstairs TV, there is no signal. Is the upstairs coax not feeding directly from the dish?
The coax to TV2 is coming from the 722 downstairs, not the Sat. Keep in mind the audio coming from that coax is stereo surround, not digital that can be sent from the 722 to a nearby receiver.

The coax to TV2 is coming from the 722 downstairs, not the Sat. Keep in mind the audio coming from that coax is stereo surround, not digital that can be sent from the 722 to a nearby receiver.

Well, the coax to TV2 is definitely not coming from the 722. I can see that it comes off the Sat along the roof to the room TV2 is in.

One coax goes from the dish to TV2. Two coaxials go from the dish to a separator and then to the 722 via the connection I mentioned in my first post.

(Later I can get up on the roof to see exactly where the coax going to TV2 originates, but it definitely is not coming from the 722 and it certainly looks like it is coming from the dish, but I am looking from below).

Does this seem like an incorrect setup?

Well, the coax to TV2 is definitely not coming from the 722.
It most certainly is. Your TV cannot tune a signal from the dish as others have stated.
I can see that it comes off the Sat along the roof to the room TV2 is in.
It may come off of one of the satellite cables, but it is coming up the cable from the ViP722, not down from the dish.
One coax goes from the dish to TV2. Two coaxials go from the dish to a separator and then to the 722 via the connection I mentioned in my first post.
Make sure you understand the difference between separators, diplexers and splitters. They all have distinctly different functions and they are likely employed in your system.

The ViP722 encodes a stereo signal into the distribution output on the back. The audio should be comparable with running audio cables from the ViP722 to the RCA inputs on your upstairs TV. You might be able to wring a basic Dolby Pro Logic surround out of it, but it will never be a 5.1 signal like you might hear through a digitally connected receiver.

It most certainly is. Your TV cannot tune a signal from the dish as others have stated.It may come off of one of the satellite cables, but it is coming up the cable from the ViP722, not down from the dish.Make sure you understand the difference between separators, diplexers and splitters. They all have distinctly different functions and they are likely employed in your system.

The ViP722 encodes a stereo signal into the distribution output on the back. The audio should be comparable with running audio cables from the ViP722 to the RCA inputs on your upstairs TV. You might be able to wring a basic Dolby Pro Logic surround out of it, but it will never be a 5.1 signal like you might hear through a digitally connected receiver.

Well. obviously I am in the process of learning how the receiver, cables and dish all work together. Later I will climb onto the roof and see how everything is connected up there.

Is there a site (or link) where I could see how all the connections work?

Thanks

Is there a site (or link) where I could see how all the connections work?
Your TV manual would be a good place to start. It is likely that the TV2 signal comes from the ViP722 into the TV and then the TV audio outputs go to your receiver via RCA cables.

The only other way of making a connection would be to run three RCA cables (or something that simulates three RCA cables) from the ViP722 all the way to the TV and receiver. It would probably not bring a significant improvement over your current solution.

Your TV manual would be a good place to start. It is likely that the TV2 signal comes from the ViP722 into the TV and then the TV audio outputs go to your receiver via RCA cables.

Actually I was talking about the dish network equipment setup and connections, etc. Do you know of a site that explains all this with diagrams?

The only other way of making a connection would be to run three RCA cables (or something that simulates three RCA cables) from the ViP722 all the way to the TV and receiver. It would probably not bring a significant improvement over your current solution.
Well I guess I could feed the upstairs amp from the outputs on TV2, but I was hoping for a better connection.

Thanks.

Your 722 user's manual.

Hi. I should have been more specific.

I did read the manual, but I was looking for a site that explains the theory behind how the signal gets from the dish and then to the receiver and to all the connected devices, and how they all interact with one another. That includes diplexers, separators, etc. and explanations of how each of them work and what purpose they serve.

Thanks

I did read the manual, but I was looking for a site that explains the theory behind how the signal gets from the dish and then to the receiver and to all the connected devices, and how they all interact with one another.
The satellite signal comes from an output on the LNB assembly and goes through a coaxial cable to your receiver. The ins and outs of switches, separators and diplexers can be found here using the search function.

If you go to the Sadoun Satellite Sales ( 1-888-519-9595 ) Sadoun is a dealer and distributor of satellite television systems and consumer electronics. Dish Network, DirecTV, World TV, Free To Air, Satellite Radio and more website and visit the pages for these devices, they have thoughtfully included some basic information sheets that discuss the usage of the device as well as some basic installation insights.

Be careful not to confuse yourself with DIRECTV setups as they are typically more involved and don't always apply.

Unless you're planning on going into installation, spending a lot of time trying to grok this stuff isn't going to be very rewarding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)