External Drive and Missed Shows

bkushner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Audubon, NJ
I have an external drive that's been working fine for a year or two going back to my 622, I now have a 722.

I don't leave this drive on all the time, only power it up when moving shows back and forth.

The past two times I used it I had missed show problems.

The first time I turned the drive off then the 722 and it didn't record any of my programs the entire day. I chalked this up to a glitch or something.

Now this morning I used the drive, it was still up and running when I checked my recorded programs none of my shows have recorded. When I look in schedule it says COMPLETED as if they recorded but they aren't there.

Any one know what's happening?

First off there is no way to record directly to the external hard drive if you are using a 722 dvr. If that is what you are trying to do. Second if you are not getting recordings you have to try one of the three ways to reboot the dvr:

1. smart card reset-pull the card out and reinsert.
2. power button -hold down button on the receiver until the receiver resets or five seconds.
3. Power plug pull- pull the plug ,wait 30 seconds ,replug in the receiver.

If nothing helps call DISH and ask for a replacement dvr. Add the dish home protection plan for 5.99 and get a replacement shipped for free and then drop the insurance once you have the new dvr . You can add and take it off as needed.

I am not trying to record to the External. I know it's not possible. What I'm saying is once the external is running my shows are SKIPPED. If I have 10 set to record then 10 skip. My unit will record if I hit record while watching a show otherwise if external drive is running any of my shows that I have set to record are SKIPPED. This is something new that has not happened in the past.

Well if you have done what I suggested and rebooted and it is still happening, then I recommend that you send for a replacement like I wrote . My setup is a 722 to an Sea Gate external hard drive and I can record 3 shows, including downloading an online event, sending a movie to the external hard drive and show two different shows in two different rooms , all at the same time and there is no problem. So you definitely need a replacement dvr.

Will they send a replacement based on this problem? My whole experience with replacements isn't too good. I ended up with the 722 after they sent me SIX replacement 622's in a row none working on arrival.

Will they send a replacement based on this problem? My whole experience with replacements isn't too good. I ended up with the 722 after they sent me SIX replacement 622's in a row none working on arrival.

No. They will send a replacement based on what you have now and what is available from the depot.

If your receiver is missing recordings and is not operating properly , and I think it is , they will do one of two things or both things. They will send a tech to check your install and see if there is a problem there or they will rma the bad dvr and get a replacement dvr. Both are covered under the dish home protection insurance plan. They charge nothing for the dvr replacement and $29.99 for a tech to come out and look at your install. I would have them check your entire install and see if you have it grounded and if you have a surge protector that might not be working with your dvr. Also check and see if you are in a closed in cabinet and that might be causing you to reboot and miss recordings. Heat is a big factor on these receivers and you must have air circulation or it will cause failures. I would have them come out and check all these things and then rma the dvr if it is still missing recordings.

The disappearing show sounds like what happened to me last night on replacement 722 AEP+HD.

Operating in Single Mode with default extensions of 1 min before and after. Version L617.
The system fsck was at 4:04 AM 2/11. Normal
The temperature high is 138F. Normal this altitude for open shelving, same as other 722.
1 hour nominal at 3pm SciFi HD. Start 2:59PM AV recorded 2:59 Stop 4:01 AV Stop 4:01. NORMAL
Left house about 5:30pm, all in standby. Last seen at 5:15pm with HDD attached,
30 min nominal at 5:30pm HBOCY SD. Start 5:29 Stop 6:01. MISSING (middle of series)
2 hour nominal at 6:00pm HDNMV HD. Start 5:59 Stop 8:01. MISSING (one-day showing)
1 hour nominal at 8:00pm FX SD. Start 7:59 AV recorded 8:44 Stop 9:01 AV Stopped 9:01. 17 min.
Returned to house to find DVR in loop for loading guide after which it goes to satellite check.
This is similar to previous night watching for new signal from 129 spots.
Finally broke loop forcing menu and got to recordings list, it then got a clean guide and satellite list.
All satellites are strong 119 110 129 61.5 SS=55 to 40 (119) thru DPP44.
All HD is from 61.5 except those on 110 (e.g., HDNMV) and locals on 129 now at 80.

Many recording skipped as duplicate or recorded at a different time.
All successes have "AV Recorded" and "AV Stopped" times "Completed by User 1".
All failures do not have these and were completed by User 1 or 2.
About 160 Events in timer queue. Timer list now full after adding numerous new.
Recordings list as 2:42 of HD left, OK. Old recordings not purged.

Guess it is time to make use of DHPP.
Biggest pain is 90 timers and 30 searches to enter and backing up to HDD.

-Ken

Update I guess I will wait for a new failure on this 722 although I cannot trust it.
It already is awaiting a third strike on loss of keying to my multiple EHDs. -K

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)