External Hard Drive Disk Check?

truecrimson

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
North Alabama
Is there any way of running some type of disk check on an external hard drive using the Vip722 receiver?

I have only one football game stored on the external hard drive [Bama 36 - Auburn 0 - :) ] and it will play until about halftime and then the system just locks up. I would hate to lose the game. It worked for a while before the problem began.

No

Is there any way of running some type of disk check on an external hard drive using the Vip722 receiver?

I have only one football game stored on the external hard drive [Bama 36 - Auburn 0 - :) ] and it will play until about halftime and then the system just locks up. I would hate to lose the game. It worked for a while before the problem began.

title says it all

The disk is formated in ext3 format. If you have a linux system you can just plug it into it and it will recognize the drive.

Once you do that, you can run any of the 100's of disk check programs out there making sure that you don't modify the disk.

Sometimes, you can just find the file under the Disharc folder, copy if off and copy it back. If you can copy if off then at least that means the file is not externally (at the file system level) corrupted. If it still hangs then that means that the file is internally corrupted. As it's encrypted you might be screwed.

Another thing you can do it try to restore it to the local DVR HD. If it restores, then the encryption is removed and the show might play.

You can connect it to your pc via USB and use WinDLG by Western Digital to check smart status and do quick and extended testing.

I pull my EHD once a month and check the RAID status and HDD status.

You can connect it to your pc via USB and use WinDLG by Western Digital to check smart status and do quick and extended testing.

I pull my EHD once a month and check the RAID status and HDD status.

I didn't see where he had a WD EHD. Will WINDLG work on a non-WD drive? I didn't think it would?

Thanks for all the help. I have tried to restore it to the local DVR with no luck. It starts the copy process but will never finish.

I am going to try the other suggestions and post back my results.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)