External Hard Drive Expansion

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NOM115SOT

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Massachusetts
I am looking to add an external hard drive to my DirecTV HR22 DVR receiver to get greater capacity. I know that when you add the external hard drive that you can no longer access the internal hard drive with the external hard drive attached. But what I have read is that even after the external hard drive has been installed that you can fully power off the receiver, power off the external hard drive so that it cannot be access, power just the receiver back up and then be able to access the internal hard drive and its recordings again that were there prior to the external hard drive being installed. Then when you want to go back to using the external hard drive then the receiver is fully powered down again, the power turned back on to the external hard drive and then power back up the receiver to access the recordings and use the external storage again. I want to verify that this is true and that no recordings are lost going through this procedure with both the internal hard drive and external hard drive being paired to the DVR in question. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking to add an external hard drive to my DirecTV HR22 DVR receiver to get greater capacity. I know that when you add the external hard drive that you can no longer access the internal hard drive with the external hard drive attached. But what I have read is that even after the external hard drive has been installed that you can fully power off the receiver, power off the external hard drive so that it cannot be access, power just the receiver back up and then be able to access the internal hard drive and its recordings again that were there prior to the external hard drive being installed. Then when you want to go back to using the external hard drive then the receiver is fully powered down again, the power turned back on to the external hard drive and then power back up the receiver to access the recordings and use the external storage again. I want to verify that this is true and that no recordings are lost going through this procedure with both the internal hard drive and external hard drive being paired to the DVR in question. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Your almost right ...

You don't lose any recordings, but when you power down the recvr and EHD, you need to then Dis-Connect the EHD and power back up to get to the Internal drive again and vice versa.

I'm sure it's advisable to power down and up when changing drives, but I've done hot swaps with no issues.

I'm sure it's advisable to power down and up when changing drives, but I've done hot swaps with no issues.
Really ?
I've never done that with mine, always thinking if it does go down and start back up before the change is made, wouldn't it try to stay on the same drive ?

I just got a refurbished Thermaltake BlacX docking station from newegg on ebay for $20 and a crazy deal on some Seagate 2TB external hard drives. I've taken the hard drive out of the enclosure and plan on trying it out on my HR-34. I know most people recommend WD drives but I got the Seagate cheap so hopefully it works.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)