External Hard Drive Issues with 922.

bigwillieb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
Ok, so I got a 2 TB Seagate Freeagent External Hard Drive, I used it on my 722, at 1st loved it no issues. Then when I got my 922 I hooked up the External Hard Drive no issues, but in the past few weeks I have been having alot of issues. I turn on my TV and go to my DVR(who watches live TV any more), and the external hard drive is missing, so I unplug the usb and plug it back in, no luck. I have to do a hard reset on the 922, so once I get it to where it will show up, when I access it, it takes some time to pull the event list up. Once I get to event I start playing it, it takes about 5 seconds to start playing, then there is like a lag in every time I push a skip 30 seconds, to pause, play, not like before. I thought it was the hard drive and so I hooked it up to my 612 and it works fine. I called DISH Boradband support, and they just did a TPR, for me. Does anyone here know about a issue like this or anything? Just wondering, it is kind of annoying. The agent told me may be I should try to reformat my Hard Drive, but then there goes my 200 movies.

I don't have an answer. I was thinking if I ever get 2 external hard drives for this purpose, I wonder if you could use cloning software to clone the drive so you would have a backup. Then you could reformat one just to try it or if one went bad, you would still have everything. Maybe some day I'll test that.

I don't have an answer. I was thinking if I ever get 2 external hard drives for this purpose, I wonder if you could use cloning software to clone the drive so you would have a backup. Then you could reformat one just to try it or if one went bad, you would still have everything. Maybe some day I'll test that.

That is a good idea! That may work. I wonder how long it would take to transfer over 1.25 TB of hard drive to another one, LOL.

Ok, so I got a 2 TB Seagate Freeagent External Hard Drive, I used it on my 722, at 1st loved it no issues. Then when I got my 922 I hooked up the External Hard Drive no issues, but in the past few weeks I have been having alot of issues. I turn on my TV and go to my DVR(who watches live TV any more), and the external hard drive is missing, so I unplug the usb and plug it back in, no luck. I have to do a hard reset on the 922, so once I get it to where it will show up, when I access it, it takes some time to pull the event list up. Once I get to event I start playing it, it takes about 5 seconds to start playing, then there is like a lag in every time I push a skip 30 seconds, to pause, play, not like before. I thought it was the hard drive and so I hooked it up to my 612 and it works fine. I called DISH Boradband support, and they just did a TPR, for me. Does anyone here know about a issue like this or anything? Just wondering, it is kind of annoying. The agent told me may be I should try to reformat my Hard Drive, but then there goes my 200 movies.

I have been having a similar issue with my one month old 922 and 1TB WD HD. 2-3 times now when I have gone into the DVR the tab for the ext. HD is missing. The first time it happened I did a soft reboot with the reset button on the front and the tab came back and everthing was fine. The 2nd time I just turned off the receiver for the night and the next day when I turned it on the tab was back.

I haven't noticed any of the other delay problems that you mentioned.

Issue is fixed? Not sure how but, I am having no issues any more. Hard Drive has been on my 922 list for two full days with out a hard reset, and the delay issues gone. May be DISH fixed it, when they got the TPR?

Issue is fixed? Not sure how but, I am having no issues any more. Hard Drive has been on my 922 list for two full days with out a hard reset, and the delay issues gone. May be DISH fixed it, when they got the TPR?

You might want to wait another week or two before you are sure that it's fixed. Mine was fine for a few days until Tues. Once again when I went into the DVR the ext. device tab was completely missing, as if the ext. HD was not even plugged in. Last night it was back again. It seems to be a very random thing for me. One time the 922 see's the ext. HD, the next time it might not. I never had any problems like this when I used the same HD with my 622.

You might want to wait another week or two before you are sure that it's fixed. Mine was fine for a few days until Tues. Once again when I went into the DVR the ext. device tab was completely missing, as if the ext. HD was not even plugged in. Last night it was back again. It seems to be a very random thing for me. One time the 922 see's the ext. HD, the next time it might not. I never had any problems like this when I used the same HD with my 622.

Thanks for the heads up, I will be watching it. Hope not. At this point since I had my last post, no issues.

Mine was ok for a few days until Fri. Since then I have not been able to get the 922 to see the ext. HD at all. I tried 4-5 front button re-sets and unplugging and re-plugging in the usb cable several times to no avail. Next will have to do a hard re-set but the power cord is plugged in behind the entertainment center which makes it very difficult to reach. I can turn off the circuit breaker but that's also a pain. Wish I knew what the problem was. I suppose eventually if the problem persists I will have to replace the 922 but I would hate to get a refurb in place of a brand new one and also lose all the recordings I now have on the internal HD.

I'd get a second, different brand EHD and see if the problem occurs with both. Then you know for sure if it's the DVR or the EHD.

I'd get a second, different brand EHD and see if the problem occurs with both. Then you know for sure if it's the DVR or the EHD.

That's a lot of money to spend just for a test. I'm not sure what return policies are like for something like that but I think most stores are kind of tight when it comes to computer software/hardware returns.

I was able to get the my 922/ext. device tab back by doing a hard re-set on the 922 so I don't think my WD EHD is the culprit. If the EHD was having a problem I would'nt think that re-booting the 922 would bring it back but I'am certainly no expert when it comes to this stuff. I'm crossing my fingers that it keeps working.

Of course I found out a week too late that I could have swapped the 922 for a brand new one within the first 30 days. Now I will have to settle for a re-furb if it comes to that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts