Versus Lack of Availability on Dish Network Lower Tiers Hits Home

HanoverPretzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2006
Well, the schedule for my favorite, local no less, hockey team's second round series is out. Games 1 and 2 are Versus exclusives. And they come at a time when I simply don't have the funds to hit a bar or visit people who have the channel.

It kind of sucks when you pay for a cable or satellite package and can't even see all the local team's playoff games. I don't think I'm the only one in this situation -- AT250 is a pretty high tier for a basic channel like Versus has become, given all the exclusive regular season, playoff, and even Stanley Cup Final games it telecasts. If I had even a fairly basic cable package, I'd be able to watch those games.

Time for Charlie to settle his feud and figure out a way to get Versus out to more of his subscribers. It's become the sort of channel people really expect to have. The NHL just inked a 10 year extension with Versus -- so ESPN or some channel signing them away and killing Versus isn't going to happen. Dish should acknowledge that acknowledge that you can't simply not a major sport's playoffs on a reasonable programming tier if you want to keep subscribers long-term.

There is no feud with Versus.

If you don't have the NFL Network you miss 7 games there.

If you don't have cable or sat, you don't see Monday Night Football, or the BCS Bowl games, or whatever other sport has now shifted from free broadcast to cable. It's the sign of the times my friend.

Pay, or don't play (or watch).

Last edited:
Be happy you got to actually watch your local teams. I am stuck in a contract and had my Devils, and now my Mets taken away from me.

Well, the schedule for my favorite, local no less, hockey team's second round series is out. Games 1 and 2 are Versus exclusives. And they come at a time when I simply don't have the funds to hit a bar or visit people who have the channel.

It kind of sucks when you pay for a cable or satellite package and can't even see all the local team's playoff games. I don't think I'm the only one in this situation -- AT250 is a pretty high tier for a basic channel like Versus has become, given all the exclusive regular season, playoff, and even Stanley Cup Final games it telecasts. If I had even a fairly basic cable package, I'd be able to watch those games.

Time for Charlie to settle his feud and figure out a way to get Versus out to more of his subscribers. It's become the sort of channel people really expect to have. The NHL just inked a 10 year extension with Versus -- so ESPN or some channel signing them away and killing Versus isn't going to happen. Dish should acknowledge that acknowledge that you can't simply not a major sport's playoffs on a reasonable programming tier if you want to keep subscribers long-term.

Some cheese with that whine?
It's not Charilies fault you don't have the funds to watch your team. It's not Dishes fault you can't afford to pay for the package that the channel you want is on.

I have a different outlook on this. In this particular case of Versus I do see two problems.

1. I just looked online at the Charter Cable lineup and Versus is in the basic package. It may be SD, not sure, but it is there. It is also in the lower packages, in HD on Direct TV. We of course do not know why it is in the highest package on Dish, but it is. My point being it looks to me like it does not have to be as far as Versus is concerned, so this one may be on Dish. I am neither condoning or condemning, but this is a way Dish apparently feels is to get people to go to a higher package. You can't blame them on the one hand, but you also might take that into consideration when you are choosing your provider. I will give Dish a possible break on this, as when the contract was signed it is very possible it was when Versus was in a state of flux and not on everyone's radar. Getting the NHL and now some other events may have come after the contract. Either way, it does appear if you want to watch Versus, it will cost you more than from some other providers. Keep in mind, I have no doubt I can find other popular channels that Dish offers for less and in HD that others do not, or do not in a lower package.

2. This is a bigger overall problem of all sports going to or partially going to being viewed on TV only if you pay the bucks. Dish didn't choose to put the NHL on what has been till recently an obscure channel. The NHL did, and just continued to do. If anything, this might make this channel more expensive to see in the future. For many this has indeed become a burden if you like your local teams, and do not really have the finances to pay the amount needed to see them all.

I am one who would usually say if you don't like the programming and can't get Dish to change, go to Direct or Cable. But this to me is a little different issue, though not entirely the fault of Dish, I don't think. The whole system prevents the poster from just seeing his team in the playoffs.

Last edited:
I wish Dish Network would put Versus on a lower tier. However, I don't demand or expect that they have to.

I will note however, that Versus doesn't appear to be available in the Sports Pack, which I find odd, as that would have been my suggestion, just to pay for the Sports Pack for a couple months to see the playoffs.

I was thinking about paying for the sports pack for a couple months for the Le Tour de Doped and see the Schlecks finally beat Contador, but if I can't just add on the Sports Pack, I won't be doing that.

Looks like I'll be seeing if Le Tour de Doped will be offered online, it was last year. I'm willing to pay for it, but not willing to change my entire package and risk being on the phone for hours to fix the mix-ups.

Complaining about missing a POPULAR EXPENSIVE channel such as versus will get u nowhere with dish network..u have to complain about a cheap inexpensive useless unpopular channel (i.e Babyfirst or MSNBC) before they will listen and rectify the situation.

Complaining about missing a POPULAR EXPENSIVE channel such as versus will get u nowhere with dish network..u have to complain about a cheap inexpensive useless unpopular channel (i.e Babyfirst or MSNBC) before they will listen and rectify the situation.

Are you having another Babyfirst tantrum, Juan??? wah wah:river:river

That was an ala carte channel paid for by only those that wanted it. $5 a month wasn't cheap.

I understand it sucks to miss your team, but not having money to go to a bar? You don't have $3 to buy a beer at a bar and just hang out? Maybe you should re-prioritize your expenses and drop pay TV all together?

You shouldn't be upset at the providers but at the NHL for signing up the contract with Versus. I think it's plain stupid for the NHL to show the playoff games on a premium channel like Versus, because that's why this channel is on the high packages on most providers. If they want the sport to gain popularity, showing the playoff games in a more accessible channel should be a must. I think the NHL playoff games are awesome but limiting the target audience is just plain dumb.

Look for your bill to increase next time its time to negotiate for Versus, because I have a feeling they're going to demand to be placed in a lower tier.

Comcast/NBC are talking about making this channel a challenger for ESPN. To do this they will need to be on a lower tier and start charging hefty fees. Comcast/ NBC has the power to make this happen. The money is made from content . Pipeline isn't worth much if you have nothing to move through it.

Jim

First off, Versus is not on the higher tiers of MOST networks, but it sure is on Dish. However, the true blame lies directly on the shoulders of the NFL. NBC/Versus outbid ESPN for the TV rights for the next long term contract. This is so short sighted by the NHL it's hard to comprehend. The number of homes penetrated by ESPN is 10 fold higher than Versus and the NHL has lamented for years that their sport is fantastic to watch in HD and they just need to be more exposed to the general public. Most hockey fans are stunned that the NHL passed on the opportunity offered them by ESPN. They made their bed and now they must lie in it. Too bad we must be right there beside them.

What opportunity did ESPN give the NHL? The league wasn't too visible on ESPN once the mothership started broadcasting NBA. It wasn't a shortsighted move and in time, Versus will be in more homes on lower tiers, especially as it becomes integrated with NBC Sports.

Ignorance of the past is no excuse.

Look for your bill to increase next time its time to negotiate for Versus, because I have a feeling they're going to demand to be placed in a lower tier.

And then look for VS to go away on DISH. DISH won't cave to that and as we know what they did with MSG, they do carry a grudge.

I think VS/NBC/Comcast will be able to make a case to move to a lower tier when the next contract is up for negotiation but as we have seen, DISH isn't just going to jump on the bandwagon automatically.

If you don't have the NFL Network you miss 7 games there.

If you don't have cable or sat, you don't see Monday Night Football, or the BCS Bowl games, or whatever other sport has now shifted from free broadcast to cable. It's the sign of the times my friend.

That's all true, but you don't miss part of the Super Bowl or NFL playoff games because you don't get the NFL Network. It's an 8 game package total, so you might have to make alternate arrangements to see one game a year that your local team might play on that network (Assuming you don't get the OTA affiliates from the city the team plays in -- which simulcasts the local team when it's on NFLN). I'm not thrilled about that, but it's a little different from how much hockey you miss if you don't get Versus. And Versus is actually a tier *higher* than the NFL Network (AT250 versus AT200).

Monday Night Football, the BCS title games, etc. are all on fairly standard wire into the television cable packages and AT120/AT120+. Would it be better if they were free over the air? Sure, but if you pay for a fairly typical cable or satellite package, you get them. Versus you get on a fairly standard cable package -- but for some reason not the satellite equivalent. That's what I'm driving at. Also, free over the air is only free if you can get the signals in your area -- which I can't.

Switch back to cable if you feel that way. Show Charlie what type of customer you are.

I'm under contract with Dish. After that contract is up, I'll see what the cable rates and the Dish rates are, which channels are included, what promotions companies will or won't offer me, ease of use/switching packages, customer service, and so on and so forth, and make a decision.

Watching a game on TV isn't a right.

Being able to complain is a right, though (Freedom of speech). ;) Also, I do pay for the service, and sacrifice to do it, and part of what I expect to get is all of my local teams' games- especially when it comes time for the playoffs.

Well, now that you mention it, I do want MSNBC available on a lower tier also. ;) And MSNBC is available on the regular wire into the television Comcast package in my area. Wouldn't be a bad thing for Dish to try to get channel parity with that. People do look at these things when making a decision on their television provider.

I understand it sucks to miss your team, but not having money to go to a bar? You don't have $3 to buy a beer at a bar and just hang out? Maybe you should re-prioritize your expenses and drop pay TV all together?

I did that when Comcast raised my rates and wouldn't qualify me for a promotional rate (Even though press reports say half their customers are on promotional rates). I was staring down the barrel of a gun, essentially, where they wanted to charge me around $140/month for television and Internet and I couldn't afford the $100 it cost me on a promotional rate as it was. So, I cancelled everything.

After a couple weeks I got very sick of staring at my wall and added Dish at a promotional rate and a really bad slow Internet service from Virgin Mobile that cuts out on me every three seconds. Both are a lot cheaper (Total is down to less than half of what Comcast wanted me to pay), but both have certain limitations that get under my skin. At least I can afford them, though (Well, kind of).

Here's the thing about being poor long-term that a lot of middle and upper class folks probably don't think about. It actually becomes that much more important to have things you can kick back with at home and enjoy, because you don't have the money to do stuff outside the home constantly. Sometimes you can't even do stuff like hit the Subway to get a sandwich and take a little drive (And when you can, it feels like a luxury, even though for a lot of folks, that'd seem like cutting back). So if you don't have some sort of basic television or Internet, and some books and music, and those sort of things, you literally get bored out of your mind in a small enclosed space like an apartment or a trailer or whatever. So, odd as it seems, it does make sense to spend at least a little money on what are technically "non-essentials" so you don't get out of your mind frustrated.

If I lived in an area where I could get a lot of stuff OTA, I may have never signed up for Dish. I certainly would have spent those weeks between having cable and satellite checking out how life with free tv might work out. I suspect I'd get annoyed not being able to follow any sports or much news and might have signed up for something anyway after a while, but I'd definitely have tried free tv out -- I'm always looking for ways to cut back and spend my money more efficiently.

Unfortunately, I can't get free OTA on an internal antenna. I might be able to get something if I bought and paid someone to install an external antenna, but that's a big investment for a "maybe" when you don't have much money. And I'm under contract with Dish right now anyhow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)