External hard drive question 2 of 3: Swapping

Big Bob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
I now have 3 2-tb hard drives for my 722k. What is the best procedure for swapping them in and out of the DVR? I get kinda scared just unplugging one and plugging in another. And sometimes, after plugging in a different HD, the receiver never sees it and I have to do a complete reboot. Is there a bullet proof procedure for handling multiple external hard drives?

Thanks

Generally there aren't any problems, but I don't think anyone would make any "bullet-proof" claims.

I would think that it would be better all the way around to power down the dvr (I know they don't really power down) then swap, especially if you have experienced problems.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

Wait until you get the screen message that you have disconnected a multimedia device before connecting the other.

If your EHD has an activity light (most do,) just make sure it's not indicating activity while you're unplugging, and you should be good to go. Also (obviously) don't unplug while sending stuff to it or playing stuff back from it. As for the detection, back when I had my 722Ks I had to unplug my EHDs several times and re-plug them to get some of them to be detected. No receiver reboot required, just do it slowly and not while the activity light is flashing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts