External Hard Drive question

btedford

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Using an external hard drive with my Dish VIP722, when I record/copy shows over to it, what format is it stored in?

Cause it would be nice to be able to plug the external Hard drive into a computer and either watch it on there or burn it to a DVD-R.

Anyone have an answer for me?

You can't play it back on the computer but you can use something like a Archos 705 160GB Wi-Fi that will let you take your recordings with you. The best price I have found has been at the nerds dot net web site.

do your own search for format ext2 emulator for windows. I have not personally done it yet but some are confirming sucessful transfer of E HDD recordings.

before I say anything else... can anyone confirm weather we can talk about copying HDD content to PC in these forums.

You can't play it back on the computer but you can use something like a Archos 705 160GB Wi-Fi that will let you take your recordings with you. The best price I have found has been at the nerds dot net web site.
But only SD. HD recordings won't move.

Do much SD recording these days?

Not to be talked about here...

Why not? Device shifting your own personal use recordings should fall under fair use, and is most definitely not a copyright violation. At worst it's a DMCA violation.(Thanks for that one Bill, and people complain about Bush Jr railroading our rights!!) And I guess that would be enough huh :( Nevermind, I guess I answered my own question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts