External Hard Drive Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kdo

Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
East Central Alabama
I'm looking to purchase an external hard drive for my 211. I'm looking at the WD My Book Essential Edition and the WD My DVR Expander. Both are 500GB and they look identical. Other than the price can someone tell me the difference in the two. Are they the same hard drive but with different names?

My Book Item # WDH1U5000
My DVD Expander Item # WDH1S5000

I bought a 1TB MyBook Essential drive several months ago for $100 at Staples and it has been almost flawless connected to my 211. It has fully enabled the DVR feature of the 211 and works completely as expected. (I detect some minor issues like crawl line "stutter" on some channels and an occasional complete momentary "shutdown" that corrects itself in a couple of seconds, but I have not confirmed they are due to having a drive connected or due to this particular drive.)

The only "real" issue I had was at activation when I called the 800 number that appears on the screen. What an episode! Call Tech Support instead.

Note that these cheap drives are not intended for 24/7 operation, so long-term reliability is TBD. I have to remind myself that most of the movies I record are not irreplaceable, but certain things like daily newscasts and sporting events are, so I need to be prepared for the eventuality of losing something I can't restore. I don't know if a "DVR certified" drive is any different from a reliability standpoint however, and for that matter ANY drive can fail at any time. Ask the 622/722 owners in these threads...!

Last edited:
I'm looking to purchase an external hard drive for my 211. I'm looking at the WD My Book Essential Edition and the WD My DVR Expander. Both are 500GB and they look identical. Other than the price can someone tell me the difference in the two. Are they the same hard drive but with different names?

My Book Item # WDH1U5000
My DVD Expander Item # WDH1S5000

I don't think there is any difference, except one is specially certified for the Dish DVR. If that makes you sleep better at night, go with the DVR Expander.

I would go with this one for $89 delivered.

Newegg.com - Western Digital Element 1TB 3.5" Black External Hard Drive - External Hard Drives

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts