External Hard Drive Question

markcosenza

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
OK - so I've tried to do my due diligence first and search but I'm not 100% sure on if what I want to do will work.

Here is the deal.

I currently have an issue where every week or so, the DVR stops recognizing my External Hard Drive and wants to format it. I then lose everything and start over.

Will adding Norton Ghost to my Vista system PC resolve this allowing me to simply back up my drive and then restore it back to the External Hard Drive once it has completed the reformatting?

All I want to do is be able to utilize this external hard drive without fear of losing my data all of the time. I don't care about playing on my PC etc...

From what I have cursorily read, using a Linux OS, you can copy certain file folders off the EHD, then restore them to the drive after reformatting and the programming is restored.

When you have that problem, have you tried re-setting the receiver? Called Dish Network Tech Support? I've been using and EHD on three different receivers for over two years and have never had that problem. What brand/type EHD are you using?

> I was a bit leary about installing a second operating system on my PC.

Download "virtual box" from Sun. (FREE), download the linux CD image and you can have a full blown Linux install that lives in a single file on your Windows hard disk.

Actually yes, reset and powered off receiver. Called Dish Network Tech support with no results. I did have no issues for over a year and now suddenly it's happening regularly. I suppose I could also buy another drive, but perhaps the issue is on my receiver end...

When you have that problem, have you tried re-setting the receiver? Called Dish Network Tech Support? I've been using and EHD on three different receivers for over two years and have never had that problem. What brand/type EHD are you using?

If you don't want to actually install Linux on your PC.

Go to Ubuntu.com and download the Ubuntu Live CD. It has a version on it that will boot right off of the CD and not touch your PC HD at all.

You can then mount the drive to the USB port and run the repair procedure above.

A LIVE CD is a great thing to have lots of copies laying around. Gets you out of jams without having to go to the trouble of VMWARE, or other virtual emulators and also the space required on your local HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)