External Hard Drive usage after DISH cancellation

dstuart225

Original poster
Feb 13, 2019
Pittsburgh,PA
Please forgive me if this question has already been asked. I recently cancelled DISH and I have a few external hard drives with movies. Is there any way I am able to view what is on the hard drives without a DISH receiver? I am guessing the hard drives are only able to be read by a dish hopper etc. If I buy a second hand hopper will I still be able to view what is on the hard drives? Just wondering what I can do if there is a video device than can read a dish hard drive? Just curious, thanks in advance.

Simple answer, no.

EHDs are tied to the account. Now that your account is cancelled, the EHDs are inaccessible. Even if you start up a new account, the account ID will be different.

Very true, the account ID is used as part of the encryption key and if the EHD is attached to another receiver which is presenting a different account ID it will prompt to format the EHD for usage with the new system, effectively erasing everything you have on the drive.

Reactions: JSheridan
Depending on how long ago you cancelled, you MIGHT be able to talk Dish into reactivating/reinstating your old account, thus getting your EHD contents back.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Po$$ible. But not likely. If they do, you can offload in real time using a Hauppage for stuff you want to keep long term.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts