External Hard drive

kpip99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
I posted this earlier but now I can’t find it so I’m reposting. Does anyone know if a 3TB or 4TB external hard drive will work on a hopper 3? If so what brands and models are known to work ?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I posted this earlier but now I can’t find it so I’m reposting. Does anyone know if a 3TB or 4TB external hard drive will work on a hopper 3? If so what brands and models are known to work ?

Thanks in advance.

The specs say 2TB is the maximum supported size. There have been rumors of larger drives working but Dish says 2 TB is the limit.

I've always had good luck with WD MyBooks.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Thanks in advance.

Your other post showed up so you can disregard this one.

I did this today (at least I think I did). I connected the EHD and then called Dish. I never did get the message to format my EHD and to restart the receiver. I did format the EHD before connecting it to the receiver. The guide does not give me the option to record like the Hopper 3 does.

Will it work or not?

If the record option isn't there, recording won't work. When the Wally is properly activated for the EHD, the receiver software will want to reformat the EHD with it's own format. Call Dish CS back and get someone you can understand to look into it on your account.

I went back into the RV and the formatting note was on the TV screen. I then restarted the receiver and the guide and DVR updated and the guide shows the recording options now. I checked the test recording and everything works.

Reactions: NYDutch and Bobby

Thanks in advance.

The few times I've heard of someone using a 3 or 4 TB drive, it only formatted to 2 TB. I don't know if that's a chipset or firmware limitation, but apparently not easily changed.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)